2010 Kia Soul or Mazda 3 4-Door?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by br.avery, Jul 1, 2010.

?

Which One?!

1. 2010 Kia Soul

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. 2010 Mazda 3 4-door

37 vote(s)
    97.4%
  1. br.avery macrumors regular

Help me decide on which one to get! Tell me your reasoning for your decisions.. :)

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I don't see how it's even a decision at all.

Mazda 3 of course.

3. kygeographer macrumors member

Mazda 3, hands down.

I've gotten 100k out of my 2004. The only problem I've ever had with it was a burnt out window motor at 50k, but that was replaced under warranty. They're very reliable, and hold their value better than a Kia.

4. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

I actually have the 2010 Mazda 3, it's really fun to drive. The bt is really nice as well. It supports a2dp and avrcp so you can listen to listen to music on your phone if it also supports that (iPhone has limited avrcp). It also has steering wheel mounted controls.

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Upgrade to the Speed 3 and have some fun. :D

I am biased though

[​IMG]

6. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Mazda 3. The Kia Soul will just look silly in a year or two(As if it doesn't already).

7. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

duh, 11 to 0 at this point...and I am a Subaru WRX guy...

funny poll, with obvious results

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Are you sure those are your only two choices? I, personally, would not pick either, but if forced to, I would go with the Mazda 3. There aren't many cars uglier than the...

[​IMG]

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't mind the look of the Kia Soul. In the price range you're considering, none are going to look luxurious. The Kia has a nice look to it because it looks like fun.

Having said that, if you choose the Kia over the Mazda3, you're out of your mind. :p The Mazda is supposed to drive well, and looks good.

10. bamaworks macrumors 6502

The Kia Soul is an abomination and it must be eliminated. I'd rather have the new Ford Fiesta in that price range. With that being said, given the choices, the Mazda 3 is a no brainer.

11. Reventon macrumors 6502

You could get the Ford Fiesta for that money, so that's what I would get. Given the choice between the two I'd go for the 3. It's a good reliable car that'll last for for many miles and they do hold their value much better than the Kia when it's time to sell.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I agree that Fiesta would be a great choice. Otherwise, Mazda is obviously far preferred to Kia.

13. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Now this is interesting, for every poll with at least a few votes, all options usually have one vote for them.

Guess that this is one of the few things that the world can universally agree on, that car sucks.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Pretty much.

It's certainly nothing against Kia themselves. The Soul is just fugly. If the Forte Koup was in the poll I probably would've voted for that (if none of the above wasn't an option). Kia makes good cars, but I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they designed the Soul.

17. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Well, maybe they were just following the other manufacturers. For example, we have the Nissan Cube, the Peugeot Partner/Citroen Berlingo vans-with-windows, etc. I think they wanted to make it 'funky'. I personally don't mind the design of it; it's completely different to everything else on the road, that's for sure.

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I had a Soul as my hire car in the US a couple of weekends back. I did not like it. Cheap, solid, hollow plastic interior. Seats you sit "on" rather than "in" that offered no support and a very upright driving experience. Slow and unresponsive, no steering feel at all. And lots of detail niggle, like the steering wheel obscured the top 10% of the speedo! I can't imagine the Mazda is worse and suspect it is a good bit better.

19. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Yes, I'd go for the Kia Forte Koup... DECKED OUT for about 20k. It's really nice, actually.

[​IMG]

20. Surely Guest

Surely

That's disappointing to here. I actually like the look of the Soul.

I've heard very good things about the Mazda 3, but I always feel like it's laughing at me.

[​IMG]

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I refuse to purchase a product marketed to me via rapping hamsters. Buy the 3.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I did drive to the airport in the UK in my Lotus Elise. So back to back it was never going to inspire. Lots of things I hate about it might well be what the mass market wants:

The steering is very much like any other generic, family vehicle. I am used to direct, non-power assisted, very quick steering which communicates very nuance of the road and tyres back to me. Most people would probably find that tiring.

The seats are definitely worse than normal Ford/GM ones but again most people don't like non-adjustable, solid back sports seats with almost no padding (like I have in the Lotus). I find they support my back and shoulders perfectly and normal seats give me upper back pain and a numb arse over time.

As for the performance: it has less power than the Lotus, weighs twice as much and is hamstrung by an auto box (4 speed at that). It was never going to be what I consider acceptable!

The interior plastics are just cheap though. There is no defending them. On the upside: it worked. It got me where I needed to go. It can carry 4 normal sized adults and still have some boot space. And it seemed to be reasonably fuel efficient.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I guess you don't go to Quizno's? :p

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Not anymore I don't! Holy crap - I won't sleep for days after seeing that. ;)

25. iGav macrumors G3

Neither, both are dreadful.

So another vote here for the Fiesta.