Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
so i installed Lion on day one and i love it but i get constant grey weird stuff on my display when i'm surfing...i use Chrome.

is this notmal?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
so i installed Lion on day one and i love it but i get constant grey weird stuff on my display when i'm surfing...i use Chrome.

is this notmal?

Lion is buggy. period. I get a lot of graphic glitches and flickering on my 2010 server and even my 2011 i7 Dual Core

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
i haven't seen a single graphics glitch on my 2011 mini server connected to 24" 1920x1200 via minidp-to-dvi cable and hdtv via hdmi. and i've been putting it through its paces and running it hard.

double check your display, adapters, cables, etc.

atym

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
Same problem here - Cables etc. are fine

Same problem, same hardware. Sometimes the screen goes blank once every 30 secs, sometimes once every 3 minutes, and sometimes it just goes "jumbled jigsaw" on me, with sections of the screen content appearing randomly tiled like those little slider-jigsaw puzzles from the 80's.

This is not an uncommon issue - in fact, I believe that almost all people with the setup [Mac Mini 2011] + [24" Cinema Display] are experiencing similar problems. I suspect that it may have something to do with integrated GPU providing a refresh rate of 59.7Hz to a 60Hz display (or 49.8Hz to a 50Hz panel). The "blank screen moments" are caused by the GPU and display re-synchronizing the signal, hence the semi-random cyclical nature of the problem. That's just my opinion, baseless as it is.

No matter what's wrong and where, though, this simple problem needs to be fixed. Apple itself is the manufacturer of these goods (in a very roundabout way) so there is no excuse for what appears to be a third-party compatibility issue.

This is certainly a problem I did not expect to encounter having migrated away from PCs (er, I mean, Windows) for that very reason: 1001 cooks, working in 1001 kitchens, on just one broth.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I had a Mac Mini 2011 with dedicated video card and had the same problems with the 24'' ACD. I returned it for a full refund weeks ago and there still is no fix. This makes Apple look pretty bad, no matter whether they knowingly shipped hardware not ready for prime time or poor quality control.

BTW, I don't have any problems with my MBP running Lion attached to the ACD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.