2010 Mac Pro - periodic optical drive activity

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brentsg, Nov 19, 2010.

1. brentsg macrumors 68040

I installed an LG optical drive into the second bay of my 2010 Mac Pro. The drive is a Blu-ray reader, but only a DVD writer. My understanding is that this should work ok, though I won't get Blu-ray features obviously.

The problem that I have is that OSX seems to "hit" the drive frequently and I can hear the optical drive's head seeking back and forth. Also I can see the drive's blue light flashing. Right now this is happening every 30 seconds or so. There is no disk in the drive.

Is this some type of incompatibility, or is there some setting that I have incorrect?

It almost reminds me of an old MBP issue where it wanted to constantly park the heads.

Thanks

B

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

This seems to be a common complaint here and it's keeping me from getting a BD drive.

I've read that, for at least one person, keeping any kind of disc in (BD, DVD, CD) prevents the occasional drive check.

What exact model do you have?

3. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

It's an older one I keep around because I can also use it to rip HD DVDs. The format lost out, but they make for some fine HD rips.

GGC-H20L

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Wow, that's an oldie. I have that exact same model, except on a Windows machine. The installation disc came with a firmware updater and once it actually reported a newer firmware and installed it. I have absolutely no idea what that firmware update did, but if you can throw the drive into a windows machine or use boot camp, you could try the LG firmware update.

OTOH, I doubt it will solve your particular problem because even much newer models have this problem in the Mac Pro.