2010 Mac Pro Problem, Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sk8monkey, Oct 23, 2010.

1. sk8monkey macrumors newbie

I have recently purchased one of the new 12 core mac pro's. I opted for the 5770 graphics card and 2.66ghz processor.

It has been running fine for the past month, but all of a sudden (tonight) the screen just goes black, the computer is still on and the monitor is still on, but nothing happens. I've waited for a few minutes and still nothing is happening. I know you will say to contact apple, but it is 8:30pm so that isn't an option right now. I was hoping that someone knew of this issue or of a way to fix it?

I have read other posts that seem to have a similar problem, but they are either using mini dvi, 5870 graphic card or the black goes away eventually.. I'm pretty sure I'm using AVG to DVI adapter (if my memory is correct).

Thanks for any help. I'm very anxious, so any response is appreciated!

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Turn it off and then on again? Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble, but a Mac, no matter how flashy and expensive it is, is still a computer, and it will hang.

3. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Did your monitor come back on after a reboot? You can try the hot-corner workaround if it happens again.

4. PenguinMac macrumors member

As written by Lloyd Chambers in his Digilloyd Blog (sorry I don't have the link handy), setup a corner of the screen with Sleep Display. When this happens, move your mouse to that corner (I usually login "blind" first by entering my password on the blank screen), and then out of the corner and the ATI card will reset itself and start working normally.

When I first had this happen (Samsung monitor with DVI connection) I had to unplug the monitor, turn it on separately, then replug it in to get the display subsystem to work again. The hot corner is a lot easier.

Let's hope we have a firmware fix for this soon.