2010 Mac Pro , Problem ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by emmab2006, Jan 15, 2015.

1. emmab2006 macrumors member

Evening everyone ! , hope your all well , and had a good New Year ! .

Right i wanted to ask a quick Question i have recently acquired a 2010 Mac Pro , 2.4GHZ 8 Core , 5770 1GB ,

Now i am an X Plane 10 User as some of you know . i used to own a 2008 Mac Pro but found it not fast enough for X Plane at all ... but for some reason this 2010 Mac Pro is even worse than the 2008 ! , i have no idea why ...and it is beginning to annoy me ! lol , initially i brought this as my main X Plane Machine as i was convinced that the 2010 Mac Pro would be able to handle it good enough without the upgrade to the CPU'S i have planned ,

It started with me Putting my Pc's NVIDIA GTX770 4GB Gainward into the Mac Pro with the Nvidia Web Drivers , which worked fine .. only graphical performance was awful , and i don't know why ... same as the 5770 , the both have them provide the same performance , which is 60Fps in OceanWave Open CL Test .. and in X Plane 10 a standard 16Fps , right now this machine is running Worse than the 2008 Ever did .. and i have to admit i am incredibly confused by this , as the plan is to sell my PC To Upgrade this Mac Pro with two X5670's ,

Anyway ! , if anyone has any advice or can offer a helping hand i would appreciate it ,

Thanks

2. MacVidCards Suspended

60fps is monitor refresh rate

ocean waves has been broken for several OS iterations

mitchde has not updated to fix

3. emmab2006 thread starter macrumors member

Right thanks very much , but do you have any idea about the Awful Performance ? because a machine such as that should not perform lesser than a 2008 Mac Pro ?

4. MacVidCards Suspended

2.4 Ghz is a start

How much RAM?

I would suggest hitting the X-Plane boards and find out what is important

Single thread speed on a 2.4 is bad

5. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

This is under System Requirements for X-Plane 10 on their website:
    However, in this case, the 2.4GHz E5620 (Gulftown) CPU is actually faster than the E5462 (Harpertown) 2.8GHz CPU (~20-30% faster). It's easy to forget now what a huge upgrade Nehalem was at the time in the Core architecture. So while 2.4GHz is pretty slow by today's standards, it should still be faster than the 2.8GHz CPUs they replaced (though, that's not saying much).

Looks like you have 6GB of RAM in the 2008. How much RAM do you have in the 2010?

If performance in general seems a little off, I'd suggest running Geekbench to see if your results are similar to their posted results for your same model MP.

6. emmab2006 thread starter macrumors member

I Apologise ...i forgot to tell you the ram ,
    i sold the 2008 last year , the Memory in the 2010 Mac Pro 16GB DDR3 1066 , so is pretty much kitted out .... i have ran geek bench and get 15k multi score , and around 2100 SINGLE Core Speed ,
    i am still confounded as to why i can't do a thing when it comes to X Plane 10 when the machine should be running better than it is

, i have my PC as well which is an i7 4790k , Granted this CPU is a lot faster than the Mac Pro's single cpu's , it just confuses me as to why i can't do a thing .... any idea's ?

p.s thanks for the replies

7. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

you use exactly the same graphic setting as the 2008 model?

8. emmab2006 thread starter macrumors member

indeed i did , the only thing i can think it could be is the cards are not running at 5.0/GTs ,

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Do you mind make some screen capture of your settings?

I am a X-plane user as well. Even though my 4,1's spec is quite different than yours, I may try that and see if there is any hint.