2010 MacBook Air - still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mariemariegirl, May 23, 2012.

1. mariemariegirl macrumors newbie

I've never had a decent laptop before - Ive always bought old, used laptops that lasted under 2 years. Have heard so many good things about Macbooks that I'd really like to put the money into one. though the only one I could afford with either be a refurb or an older model.

I found a 2010 macbook air - would this be too outdated for my needs? (basic internet search, would be instead of a desktop, music,etc - - don't play video games)

MC504LL/A
    1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    256GB Flash Storage
    nVIDIA GeForce 320M GPU

2. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Should be fine for what you want to do. Do you need the 256GB SSD? Sometimes you can find a 2011 MBA with a 128 SSD in a similar price range.

3. morpheuzlal macrumors newbie

If you`re willing to watch movies, photos and Microsoft Office documents i`d say its more than enough.

I just bough my first mac 3 months ago and im really amazed. Everything is much much better in Mac OS.

For more info, try to watch youtube reviews of that product, often you can get to see the machine working and take conclusions by yourself!:)

4. mariemariegirl thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou!

I appreciate the feedback! (I guess it goes without saying this is not my strong point :)

I was reading reviews online and was feeling confident but one reviewer said he had trouble with certain downloads because of his operating system - which seemed odd because nobody else had mentioned -

I'll try the youtube reviews

5. awair macrumors regular

If you're referring to the model from B&H at $450 off, it's a bargain.

The issue with downloads may refer to the Mac App Store. This requires a 'software update' only (to a later version of Snow Leopard) not an upgrade to Lion.

$949 & tax-free out of state, with free delivery. Also recommend the AppleCare at 50% off ($95)!

Mine arrives tomorrow.

6. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

That is a good deal! Darn, I just paid about $400 for an OWC 256 SSD for my MBA. I have the previous model with the NVidia 9400, the 320m GPU kicks butt compared to mine (I know because I have the mac mini with the 320m).

For general computer usage (i.e., everything except games), you will be fine. BTW, I can play Skyrim on my 2009 MBA at 15fps, choppy, but do-able when I travel.