2010 MacBook Air WiFi Connection Slow SOMETIMES

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by powrman811, Oct 25, 2011.

1. powrman811 macrumors member

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I know that the MBA has some known issues with WiFi but mine seems to be different. I have a 2010 13" with 4GB ram running Lion. Sometimes, when I am browsing the web, my internet will just stop working but I am still connected to the network. The only thing my computer will do is sit there and attempt to load the page (normally a white screen). My girlfriend has a 2011 MBA and it never has this issue, nor do I have an issue using WiFi on my phone and connecting to a website when a webpage will not load on my MacBook.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have searched and searched but have found nothing that matches my issue.

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

Since you have a 2011 MBA, I would try to replicate the issue at the exact same time you experience the problem with the 2010, to make sure it's not just the router or network causing the issue. Also, open the Utilities > Network Utility to see what the air-link speed is to your router.

3. powrman811 thread starter macrumors member

When my 2010 is having an issue, the 2011 zips right on by. So I know it's not an issue with the network. Even my phone will load a page faster than my computer when it's stopped loading webpages entirely.

Here is a snapshot of my Network Utility:
    [​IMG]

4. powrman811 thread starter macrumors member

5. calvol, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

calvol macrumors 6502a

Looks like the 2010 is connected at B/G speed of 54 Mbps, instead of N (130+ Mbps). Do you have an N router? My 2010 connects consistently at 144Mbps with a Netgear 3300 AGN router. What kind of router do you have? It may be an issue with it, instead of the Air. Try Googling forums for your router and see if any connection issues with it.

I believe the WiFi card in the Air uses a Broadcom chip, and it did not change versions between the 2010 and 2011. (Someone can verify?) It could be a bad Wifi card in the Air, or it may need a firmware update.

Also, is this issue location dependent? You may have a dead spot in your router coverage.

6. powrman811 thread starter macrumors member

Not too sure what kind of router it is. It is a wireless router/cable modem built in one (from Brighthouse).

7. calvol macrumors 6502a

Ok, then I would try your 2010 on different network routers at friends' house or at work, and see if you can replicate the problem. Not too sure who builds Brighthouse's router, but looking at customer complaints about the Brighthouse network service, I would doubt the issue is with your Air....

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/bright_house.html