2010 MacBook Hangs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by klondike5, Mar 24, 2011.

1. klondike5 macrumors newbie

My MB is hanging randomly. Force Quit will not pop up until the book catches up with its self and every click and command i've mad suddenly happens (ie, save as, close, forcequit.)
    I'm thinking it happens more frequently when hot and when multiple tabs or programs are running. But also happens when just safari w/ one tab is running.
    What is the cause of this? (i've reinstalled OS multiple times and created new user accounts w/ no success in solving.)
    Multiple trips to the Genius bar haven't helped and 90 day warranty has ended. Are my standards to high for MacBook's capabilities or is this a legitimate problem?

-JP

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. klondike5 thread starter macrumors newbie

meaning i don't have enough free space? is 176 GB of available space not enough? :confused:

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. I said your hard drive was failing, as in "ceasing to function properly"; not that it was running out of space.

5. klondike5 thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess my question is in what way is my hard drive failing? Can you specify and share your knowledge as to why you would come to that conclusion?

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Failing as in not working correctly!

Short version :
    App does something that requires disk access. OS X sorts out the request and passes the file operation to the hard drive. OS X sits there waiting for an answer, and if the hard drive is off doing (for example) error correction on a bad sector then the user gets a beachball for perhaps 5-10 seconds.

Check the SMART status on the drive in system profiler. Verified is good.

Might not be a failing drive, it's possible that it could be file corruption or dodgy permissions among the 1001 other possibilities.

You tried running the Apple Hardware Test?

7. klondike5 thread starter macrumors newbie

SMART stat is verified and the hardware test in the past has come up normal. The hangs don't last 5-10 seconds more near the range of 30-60