2010 Macbook - Now begging for help :'( pics included

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Leedsboi86, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Leedsboi86 macrumors newbie

Leedsboi86

Hey Everyone

I'm no at the point of going insane with this Macbook.
    It's a 2010 Model

Got it from a friend to try out before I took the dive of buying a new model.

when it's turned on it just sits on a white screen with an apple logo and the bar goes to 100% but sits like that for hours.
    I googled what to do and managed to get on the disk utility but that hasn't helped much at all as nothing seems to work.
    included some pictures of whats on the screen.
    Really hope someone can help me on this, the laptop is pretty much mint condition and would really like to use it.
    Hoping it's not just a pretty paper weight :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Try booting from a DVD or external drive. Should tell you if the harddrive or SATA cable has issues.

3. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

You might as well pop in an SSD while you're at it, it dramatically improves the performance of these machines (don't forget to upgrade the RAM too!).

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

There's nothing on that "OS X Base System" partition. Not even 2GB is used, so it's definitely not going to work in that state.

From the screen where you have the "Install macOS Sierra" window, open Disk Utility. Then, highlight the "OS X Base System" entry under the Hitachi drive, and then click on erase. In the dialog that appears, make sure you select "Mac OS extended (Journaled)" as the file system, and proceed to erase. Then, exit disk utility, which should take you back to the "Install macOS Sierra" window, where you should be able to select that "OS X Base System" drive, and then proceed with the install.

Since you only want to try the environment out with this system, I wouldn't bother throwing money into an SSD or RAM for it, especially since you won't be able to use that new SSD or RAM in most all new systems that you could buy.

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Maybe not the RAM but 2.5" SSDs have a lot of uses today.