Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I am in desperate of a new Macbook and was trying to hold off until next year (when the rumored Pros will turn more Air like) but I can't wait any longer because my computer is about to die. I need something relatively cheap. I was looking at a refurbished 13' MacBook Pro2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (4gb ram) for $930 as a cheaper temporary fix so when next years refresh come out I can sell this one off and get a new one.

I mainly use: web, email, word processing, iMovie (moderate use), handbrake and photo edit using Gimp.

I am relatively ignorant about processor speed so I need a little help. I am guessing it wont have a problem handling almost all of those tasks, however I am bit worried about the video editing. Will it get the job done? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Consumers were video editing back on iMac G3s and professionals years before that, a Core 2 Duo is fine for pretty much all entry level video editing and consumer grade stuff. It'd be able to do heavier duty stuff too, it would just take longer to do it than the new i5/i7 based laptops.

If you like the design of the Airs so much then why not have a look at the refurbished Airs? Entry level current gen 11" 1.4GHz C2D Airs go for $849 with the same size and CPU but larger hard drive going for $1019 - 13" 1.86GHz models start at $1099 refurbished.

It is my opinion that most consumers will notice the speed benefit from the SSD in a MacBook Air far more than they would notice the faster CPU speed in a MacBook Pro. Handbrake and iMovie renders will take longer on a MacBook Air than on a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro and both will take longer than a Core i5 MacBook Pro but I always find when I do thinks like Handbrake rips, I go off to make myself a cup of tea anyway.

PuckDaddy

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
if you're willing to spend that much, you might as well go ahead and get the 2011 13" with the i5 at $1199. the resale value will be much higher for a 'sandy bridge' i5 than for a core2duo
the cpu is better, the ram is better, the thunderbolt port , etc....
there's just not much reason to go with the 2010 models now, despite what some feel about the low-end 13, it's still faster than all but one of the 2010 MBP's, according to geekbench tests

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Yes just get the new one. Got a Microcenter near you? $1099 for the new 2011.

Apple only discounted the 2010 refurb another ~9% after the new one came out. Went from ~$1019 to to $930. Not its best refurb deal.

Handbrake and any imovie video encoding will greatly benefit from the new cpu.

That being said, I'm not saying the 2010 ain't fast enough for your uses. But it's not much more for a new one.

OH and note that 2011 refurbs will hit in a month or so and be priced around $1019.

fambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Thank you to both of you for your input. I was debating about getting the 2011 13' Pro, but do you really thing spending an extra 300 would be worth it? I am most likely only going to keep it for a year or two max. I don't know if I would get an extra 300 out of it reselling it in a year.

I also looked at the Airs, but have been told that they are not fast enough to video editing. Would the entry level Air have enough power to get the things done that I need? And then I think if I am going to spend 1100 on an Air, I should just get the much more powerful 2011 Pro.

As you can see I am totally conflicted. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Velin

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I used to own a 2010 13" MBPro unibody. If you're considering it, then I'd go and get the new 13" Macbook Air for your video editing, I think they are going to be comparable.

But the previous posters got it right. Forget the 2010 MBPro, get the 2011, yes the $300 is worth it because of Sandy, which is what people are going to want.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
I have the 13" 2011 stock. It handles video and photo editing just fine. It's very capable. I'm a relatively heavy user, and this machine will last me at least three years.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm always happy to help.

fambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Alright, you guys convinced me, 2011 Pro it is. I really wish Apple went with SSD with the Pro line because not having SSD is the main thing holding me back. I don't want to pay 250+ to change the HD to SSD. I know I will have MacBook envy next year when they refresh, but I will have to deal with it. I can just sell it if I really want the new ones.

Anyone know how long it may take for the 2011 Pros to make its way to refurbished?

MmmPancakes, I was going to PM you with a few questions, but since I am a new user to the forum I can't PM yet. I will have to to wait and post a little more.

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. If you have any more keep them coming. They are greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.