2010 MacBook Pro 13" Need Repairs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by njaremka, Dec 23, 2014.

1. njaremka macrumors 6502

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 13" that has suffered liquid damage. All indications point to a logic board that has been fried. I'd like to get the machine repaired, but have no idea where to take/send it.

Any suggestions for a good repair facility that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Even better would be a shop in the Hartford, CT area. However, I am not averse to having it shipped out.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll need to send it to an apple authorized repair center, or decide to do it yourself.

the cost, I think will exceed the worth of the computer and you may be better off biting the bullet and getting a new[er] model.

You may want to consider perhaps doing the repair yourself and buying a used logic board on ebay.

3. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. We have already purchased a newer retina MacBook to replace it. When it was running, it ran fantastic, and we had no plans to replace it. It handled everything we needed it to do. Seems a waste to just through it in the closet :( I might have to see what used logic boards are available... Hopefully, its just the logic board that has failed.

4. goy091 macrumors newbie

ifixit guide

Looks like logic boards are ~$350 on ebay. If it's just the board, looks like a pretty easy fix to replace.

Good luck

5. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

that's my biggest fear, if its NOT just the logic board then i'm out $350

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Take it to an Apple store and see how much a flat-rate depot repair would be. When I've had to use it in the past they've been about $325 plus tax. Note I've not used depot repair for liquid damage, and I've seen reports that it may be higher.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can try cleaning the logic board first...

8. grumplekey macrumors newbie

I have a 15' inch MBP that suffered liquid damage around 2012. I'm still using it to this day.

Take the machine apart (use the iFixit guide) and check the logic board for liquid corrosion with a sharp eye. If you see any corrosion, use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) to clean it off carefully with a q-tip.

Do this for all the components. Also, if it was a sugar-ridden substance that was spilled, check the keyboard for stickiness. If it is sticky, order a replacement off ebay.. i found one for ~30 USD when i did my replacement.

Don't believe people when they say you need to replace the ENTIRE keyboard/unibody assembly because they come together. Its not true. You can replace the keyboard individually. You just need to have the right screwdrivers and be diligent. It takes 2-3 hours to replace the keyboard carefully.

9. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, i'll give it a try. at this point, i don't think i have anything to lose but time.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I actually recommend soaking the board in a large tupperware of 91% or higher alcohol. Then use a new soft bristled toothbrush to remove any corrosion you may see.