Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiverMan420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Alabama
Hello! Glad to have found this forum!

I have several liquid damaged 2010 Macbook pro's that all have the same issue. When booted the fan almost immediately spins up to 100% and the system runs very slowly. I have followed all voltage rails and find nothing out of the ordinary. I have also tried SMC reset, PRAM reset, tried swapping batteries, HDD cables, RAM etc and nothing seems to make any difference.

Any suggestions as to what to try next?

Thanks!

Last edited:

RiverMan420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Alabama
Update

This morning after letting the laptop sit overnight turned off. I booted three times with no problems. Fan running normally and the system was not a bit sluggish.

On the fourth boot however, the symptoms came right back. Apparently when the board is cool everything is normal. Once it warms up then the issue is back.

Using iStat Pro to check temps I see nothing out of the ordinary when running normally or during the sluggish/high speed fan thing.

Any ideas? What is it that controls the fan speed? SMC?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Have you tried doing a clean install of OS X? This problem happened to a 15" 2011 MBP of mine before (in which the fans would spin up to full speed immediately after login, where kernel_task went to 100%) under certain conditions.

A clean install fixed it (not reinstalling OS X sans reformatting).

RiverMan420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Alabama
Thanks for the reply!

And yes I tried that. It seems that this is a hardware issue though. Even when I try booting to the Apple OSX Marvericks USB stick it does this. The fan spins up to 100% almost immediately... As soon as the Apple logo appears

RiverMan420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Alabama
Is it possible the SMC firmware has become corrupt? Is there any way to force an update on the same firmware version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.