2010 MacBook Pro 13" Won't power on?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helios16v, Feb 21, 2012.

1. helios16v macrumors regular

I just found a 2010 MacBook Pro 13" for sale locally for $300.00 so naturally I jumped on it and I'm picking it up in two hours.

The seller told me that it will not turn on and he has already had our local Mac Repair store to take a look at it and they replaced the mag safe board but it still wont power on.

However when they installed a fully charged battery, it started up without a problem, it just wont charge.. So what are some other idea's I could look into for fixing it myself?

How much should I expect to be paying to send it to Apple for repair if all else fails?

2. helios16v thread starter macrumors regular

I took it apart today and did some testing.

The battery that was in it works perfect in my 2011 MBP and holds a charge.
    Once the 2010 MBP has a charged battery in it, it turns on fine, does all the standard start up noises, however there is no video.
    I used some Electronics Contact Cleaner to wipe off the ridiculous amount of corrosion on the Logic Board Connector cable but that didn't help any.
    I noticed some hack job soldering on the Logic Board Connector which is most likely what shorted it out or the cause of not having any video.
    I tested the voltage on the 2011 MBP MagSafe DC Board from the inside with the cable charging and I was getting around 17v on the two inside connectors. On the 2010 MBP I was getting 0.29v and 0.30v so there is also a problem with the MagSafe DC Board (Which our local Mac repair dealer told him they replaced it and put in a new battery)
    Now I'm going to try and repair the Logic Board myself, as well as order a new MagSafe DC Board, is there anything else I could try or check for while I have it all apart?

3. helios16v thread starter macrumors regular

This is all the corrosion on the display plug, my guess is they didn't clean off any of the excess flux and it started to corrode the gold and aluminum in this thing. I cleaned most of it off now but I still can't get the screen working.
    [​IMG]

My guess is that it has something to do with this hack job soldering repair that clearly covers more then one pin on the display port, and probably shorted it out.. This is straight from the local and only Mac repair shop.. I am not pleased with their work at all.. Just look at the size of that blob by the green arrow!
    [​IMG]