2010 Macbook Pro 17" i7 heat question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diamond.g, Apr 26, 2010.

1. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Can anyone reproduce what is being seen in this review? I find it kinda odd that we don't see more review sites mentioning the same thing.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

More reputable sites (anandtech) reviewed these computers without having this issue. Maybe that site got a lemon. Either way it doesn't seem to be a problem end users are seeing. I'm sure we would have heard about since running the CPU that hot would heat up the aluminum casing to unbearable temperatures.

3. stodge macrumors member

I bought the 15" i7 yesterday and I noticed last night that the base was pretty hot. I need to install something to display temperatures - what app should I use?

4. diamond.g thread starter macrumors 603

diamond.g

I use iStat Pro. I hear there is a menu version of it as well.

5. sth macrumors 6502a

In the "100°C CPU temperature" screenshot they posted, the fans are still running at idle speed: 2000rpm. IMHO something's not right with that notebook.

MBPs do get uncomfortably warm, but AFAIK the cooling system is designed to keep the CPU temperature around 80-85°C max under full load. At least it used to be like that on older models. I would be surprised if the behavior observed by PC Authority is normal.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Good call. There's definitely something wrong there. Not surprised "PC Authority" (whatever that is) didn't catch that.

Lesson: stick to the real tech sites :)

7. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

One has to wonder if they installed fan control software and had it set to keep the fans at idle speeds.

Mark

8. joelcsf macrumors member

After 10 days of 10+ hours use per day, on battery and plugged in, I have not had this issue.

I did replace my HDD with an SSD - don't know if that might sway things, but I can't imagine the HDD would generate that much more heat?

9. silversx macrumors regular

engadget says your i5/i7 is melting the ice caps

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/core-i7-equipped-macbook-pro-hits-100-degrees-celsius-your-lap/

lol..

pewww.. 13 is looking better and better everyday.. ice cool and killer battery with above par graphics ALL the time with no battery drain.. hmmmm :p

it's hilarious they had to put the mbp on it's side to finish running the benchmark!!!! wow.. just wow.. the heat plus the 330m switching issue is just crazy .. i mean.. msn messenger makes your 330m stay on????? wtf

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

For the casual user, I don't disagree...the 13" is a better machine for the price.

Power users pay the piper in terms of heat and price both. I'm not happy about the "autoswitching" GPU the way it is currently implemented, but I'm sure an update is forthcoming to give me back more control.

That said, my i7 15" runs noticeably cooler than my 2007 non-unibody MBP did doing the same tasks. So they've made SOME improvements.

11. silversx macrumors regular

would you be happy if apple gave you manual control of the graphics switch?? is that what you really want?? to have to drive stick shift all day?

OR .. is what you really want is for apple to fix the autoswitch.. maybe make it depend on load of the intel gpu and not os functions.. some bad program can call a core function and screw your battery life for the day.. such as msn messenger :D

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

That would be great! I want a giant selection lever on the right side, just like a slot machine. Steve, are you listening?!??!

13. Persifleur macrumors member

I have the 17" i7 and have been using it to convert video files over the past week or so. When I first start the conversion process, the cpu hits about 92ºC briefly before the fans have a chance to kick in. Once the fans ramp up, the cpu never goes over 85ºC with all 4 cores solidly at 100% for 6-8 hours.

14. stodge macrumors member

I saw an option in preferences for the auto-switching of graphics cards; it was selected but I didn't de-select it. No idea if it does anything. I would like to have a better implementation; a Twitter client shouldn't enable the discrete graphics card. I wonder how the performance is with only the on-board chipset?

15. mBox macrumors 68020

ar e you using it as FCP editor? were just about to order one for FCP/Avid. then I read this stuff about heating. Cant really have that going into hyper heat mode like the old Titanium PowerPC back in the day :p

16. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Uh... isn't the i7 a dual core? Maybe you got a super-secret prototype.

17. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

That, or the more likely possibility that he's including the two additional "virtual cores" that you get with hyper-threading and also show show up in Activity Monitor.

18. Persifleur macrumors member

Nothing as fancy as FCP. I have only been using Handbrake to re-encode some videos.

It is 4 logical cores including the 2 hyperthreaded virtual cores. I was thinking 4 when I originally posted because that's how many cores I see in iStat Menus, but agreed there are only 2 physical cores.

19. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

both their screen shots show that the Macbook, and the Fujitsu are running an i5 CPU, not the i7 that they claim...

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've been running my i7 MBP for seven days now. I do 3D Aerospace design with an app that is very demanding of system resources.

My mid 2009 MBP would run for two hours before getting so hot I would have to shut it down to let it cool.

Not so with the i7 I have now. It runs very warm but _not_ hot and that's after seven hours of pushing it hard. This is a very impressive machine, the dual fans do their job and come on at the appropriate time, with little noise. I am pretty picky and I must say I have Zero complaints with my new MBP. I could not be happier...:)

22. Tegeril macrumors member

I am typing on a Core i7 17" right now, the fans ramp up appropriately and the laptop never reaches temperatures nearly close to what they said.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, that's in the "Energy Saver" settings. Unfortunately, unchecking it isn't exactly a benefit:

[​IMG]

It just uses the nvidia GPU by default, never "downshifting."