2010 Macbook Pro 17", Which USB 3.0 Kext?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DanMG, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DanMG macrumors newbie

So here is my situation. I have purchased a usb 3.0 express card for my macbook pro which is running Sierra. The model is BC628

I have done the following so far:
    -Went into Recovery
    -disabled SIP
    -Rebooted
    -Used Kext Wizard to install the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and then repaired permissions
    -Restarted and now usb devices are detectable....but only as USB 2.0. So essentially Im wondering why this may be the case. Under the PCI drop down in system report it shows a device name of pci1912,15
    -I have also tired numerous USB devices and physically ejected the express card so I figure this is a kext issue. If anyone could lend a hand and help others in the process with this issue I would very much appreciate it.

2. killawat macrumors 65816

It would probably be easier to find a powered expresscard 34 that has the fresco logic fl1100 chipset in it. You may have to order internationally but they're out there It probably won't be flush but it'll work 1000x better. I have one and it is plug and play since 10.11. No kext, SIP mod or anything.

The problems you're having is that the chipset isn't supported natively and regardless the cards have a hard time working (if at all) at 3.0 speeds without that extra power. Keep in mind the expresscard slot in 2010 mac is Gen 1 so you will max out at 2.5 Gbits, about half speed 3.0