2010 Macbook Pro black screen/freeze issue with lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prhymeate, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Prhymeate macrumors member

It happened once or twice to me in the first few months after installing Lion (4 months ago) and I thought it was a one off but over the last few days it's been happening all the time, 4 times today.

I've read online that I should contact apple and they'll probably replace the logic board.

Has anyone had to do this and has it been a success? Any idea how long that process takes? I'm in London so I guess I will take it to the store on Regent Street if that makes any difference.

Thanks

2. Prhymeate thread starter macrumors member

has nobody else here experienced this? I was under the impression that it was a known issue.

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

we have a 2010 13", and have experienced the black screen glitch. however, i cannot figure out how to reproduce it, so i have no clue why its happening. it has only happened since we upgraded to lion. i "think" its some kind of graphics bug. but, again, since i can't reproduce it, i'm not 100% sure. hopefully, mountain lion fixes it...

4. Prhymeate thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I can't reproduce it either. It's happened when launching apps, loading a web page, clicking 'submit reply' after entering a post on these forums...not a specific action on a certain application.
    I will take mine to apple in the next week or two when I have the time.

5. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Definitely a known issue with this type of MBP. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

Contact them as soon as you can in case you fall outside of the two year period. I also believe it may be dangerous but I'm not 100% sure on that.

6. Prhymeate thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will contact them soon, I've just been caught between really needing to use my laptop and at the same time not being able to without it crashing. I will be able to drop it into them next week sometime.

Does anyone know roughly how long a logic board replacement takes? I'm in the UK.

7. Prhymeate thread starter macrumors member

well, I took it to the apple store and they replaced the logic board. Got it home today and this has happened about 3 times within 15 minutes of turning it on...ffs.

[​IMG]