2010 Macbook Pro catastrophic failure Broke my SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pandamonia, Aug 10, 2012.

1. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

This POS that apple have sold me has had to have an entire new lid/screen assembly and also had a catastrophic failure of the logic board and CPU. When this went in for repair they called me to say the SSD is also dead. The SSD is a 240gb Vertex 2 which has worked flawlessly for 2 years in that laptop.

They claim that its a coincidence that the SSD is dead! but because its 3rd party they wont replace the SSD.

Its clear to me that the either the MBP has destroyed the SSD when the logic board and CPU died. Or that the "Genius" has destroyed it while fixing it. When they fixed another MBP a couple of years ago they managed to put a thumb sized dent in the alum chassis they were so heavy handed when fixing it.

So basically i know from working on PC's that when a mobo fails it can take out the CPU and HDD's i have seen it first hand. The mobo regulates power and just about everything else and when something goes bad then it can take out everything. I also know the Genius squad also damage stuff when fixing them.

So everything considered im 99% sure its either the MBP or the Genius that broke the SSD.

i live in the UK and have the 3yr applecare.

Whats everyone elses opinion on this?

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

My opinion is there is far more to this story than what you are saying.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple doesn't have to cover the warranty on 3rd party parts. When taking a computer in for warranty repair, it is always a good idea to swap the original parts back in first. If the problem still exists, the won't be able to blame a 3rd party part for causing the problem.

If you've had so many problems with the particular Geniuses you've been dealing with, why not take the laptop to a 3rd party Apple repair center? Don't you have those in the UK? They work directly with Apple, use the same parts for repairs that an Apple store does, and they honor the warranty just like Apple would.

4. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I wonder what type of drink was spilled on it?

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Wow. Just give the guy the benifit of the doubt. Maybe he didn't do anything to damage it.

The fact of the matter is that Apple doesn't have to cover the warranty or damage of any 3rd party parts. It's in the terms of the warranty. You wouldn't expect your non-factory upgraded exhaust or turbo to be covered by your manufacturers warranty on your car, do you?

6. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

T5BRICK is correct. You should always send your computer back with only the factory components installed.

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

I guess I've never heard of anyone breaking their screen, logic board, and harddrive at the same time through normal usage.

8. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

The screen has been faulty for a while. I was using the MacBook when it died so I know the ssd was fine until the cpu and logic board died.

The logic board failure has killed the ssd. I have seen it happen before with a hdd on a pc. Voltage spike most likely.

They will repair the apple parts but they are wriggling very hard on the ssd. The MacBook is at fault due to bad components and the ssd died as a result of the bad components. Apple should take responsibility for the damage caused.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

That sucks. However, if there was a voltage spike that fried the CPU and Logic Board, it most likely ruined the SSD as well, all at the same time. Unless you pulled the SSD out first and tried it in another machine, there's no way to tell if a genius screwed it up or not. The best you can do is ask for the SSD back, and then ask the manufacturer for a replacement under warranty.

10. TX328F macrumors newbie

Have you checked if the SSD itself still has any warranty left? A quick search in Newegg shows a 3 years warranty in parts and labor for a similar SSD. I used to assemble my own PCs and I have noticed that individual parts often have this 3 years warranty. Most likely you will need to deal with the company that imports/distributes the brand, but it may be your best option.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've tried doing this in the past, but it didn't work out well - but it was a HDD, so I just threw up my hands and bought a new HDD myself. Worth a try though.

It can be a real mess if there's a voltage surge or electrical short and then things get fried right and left.

12. leman macrumors 604

Why should Apple be responsible to damage to third party items? And honestly, you should have installed the old HDD back before bringing the computer in.

13. T5BRICK, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Good luck, but they aren't responsible for repairing damage to 3rd party parts.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/mac-english.html

See here:

Also here:

14. specik macrumors 6502

specik

What kind of Starbucks coffee did you spill in it? Frappuchino? Or perhaps it was "just a few drops of water".

But in all seriousness, it's extremely unlikely the Apple Genius did anything to damage your SSD. For anyone that adds third-party gear to any Apple computer, it's pretty much a given that you should swap in your original components prior to any repair.

Additionally, reviews on NewEgg for your SSD drive aren't great (43 one star reviews out of 102 total). Seems like these things die left and right. I mean, I'm not sure what else you expected for an SSD that was ~$200.

Not sure what you're looking to get out of this. For Apple to pay for another ****** third-party SSD to replace yours? Or perhaps they should just toss in a current-gen iMac, Mac Pro, iPad and iPhone for your troubles. * eye roll *

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My Mac Pro mysteriously died about a month ago. The store replaced both processors, the motherboard and daughter card; they also replaced the power supply. When I got it back they also said my SSD was broken; I was sort of in disbelief, but I took their word for it.

I sent my SSD in for a warranty claim and indeed it was broken (got a replacement).

16. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

This drive was £450 2 years ago. It was the best on the market. It's worked flawlessly unlike this pos MacBook pro. I have 2 in raid on my pc and they are all working perfectly.

I don't really care what apple say on their webpage. If their product is the cause of damage then they can be liable. A faulty tv once set fire to my friends house. The TV company had to pay for the damage. They have liability insurance. ocz will probably replace the drive but I don't see why they should. Its clearly apple faulty poor logic boards. The only bad motherboards I have ever had have been cheap ones. These seem no different.

I suppose ill have a nearly brand new machine after its all fixed up. Just about everything has been replaced.

17. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

You essentially have a new computer which is a light at the end of the tunnel. As for the SSD, just send it for warranty replacement and call it a day.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I realize this sucks, but no OEM will cover you on this. It's not limited to Apple. None of them will cover you on anything they didn't place in the machine. Now parts like logic boards, batteries, etc. have migrated more and more to trash designs. I've seen problems like swelling batteries that should really never happen, but no OEM will ever cover you on parts of arbitrary cost that they didn't certify or place in there. This sucks, but it isn't likely to go anywhere, as they state this clearly in their policies.

That is a safety hazard, and such things are typically handled differently regardless of the stated policy. Bringing up anecdotes doesn't establish any kind of precedence though. People on here have mentioned cases where Apple took care of them on something unusual, but I never suggest that anyone else rely on them. If it's not in their stated policy, it is not something you should count on.

19. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Apple will fix your MBP, send the SSD back for evaluation and ask for a replacement. Get over it, it`s just a hardware failure no need for all the drama. All tech companies have similar warrantee clauses, if you want to be completely protected buy the system at source with SSD installed by the manufacturer.

If you are truly unhappy with Apple, leave feedback with them and vote with your $$$$.

20. katmeef macrumors 6502

Maybe it was your ssd that damaged the motherboard. And really, who sends an apple laptop in for repair without first taking out third party parts?

Maybe the ssd was dead already and you're trying to scam one from apple?

See I can throw around unfounded accusations too.

21. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Therein lies the problem. "I agree to your terms, but I expect them to be mitigated whenever I want"

Have you even tested the SSD to confirm it's definitely broken? If it is, then just contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement. The drive's warranty was paid for as part of it's original price. Apple was not paid to provide protection to third party items. Simple really.

Your situation is akin to somebody smashing into your car then you demanding that they cough up for damages and not your insurer.

22. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

First of all in the UK the rules are different. I'm protected by a number of laws and consequential damage is recoverable in circumstances not unlike mine.

Secondly when someone smashes into your car then them coughing up is exactly what happens! You don't claim on your own insurance. Not here anyway. Sounds like a right place to live.

Terms and conditions are worthless in the UK and Eu if they try and wriggle out of paying out money.

If ocz dont cover me then I'll go to small claims court. Costs £100.

23. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's true what they say about the apple brainwashing.

24. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

That isn't going to get you anywhere here.

Why don't you contact the SSD manufacturer? Explain to them what you believe happened (keep the printed records of Apple's repair with you in case they ask for them). They might be able to replace your SSD. At the very least, they'll be able to inspect the drive and tell whether your logic board fried it or not.

25. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Agreed, this is just another pointless thread asking for irrelevant opinion. The OP already knows what he needs to in order to remedy the situation; Apple will cover the MBP the SSD will also be covered by OCZ. If he is so aggrieved he/she should leave feedback with Apple & OCZ....