2010 MacBook Pro + External Monitor Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, May 14, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I am a new member here, and kinda new to the whole Mac community.

I decided to buy my first MacBook Pro, and I have a few ideas that I would like feedback on. I was planning on getting the mStand, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and an external monitor. I plan on buying all of these so I can work on a larger screen when I need to, and also I could just unplug the MacBook and take it on the go.

But I do not know what external monitor to get...

Does anybody know a good external monitor? I was planning to connect via HDMI, so I need a monitor with a HDMI port.

I was looking at this HP 2509m model

Has anybody used this? I would like a monitor that has good picture quality and looks good beside my MacBook.

Max budget is $400, so those Apple displays wont work...Also a 22 - 25 inch would be nice.

Thanks, and if there is already a thread about this that has alot of replies, please redirect me. I did a quick search and only a few threads with 2-3 posts came up. None of which were to helpful. I hope this can get some replies =D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I saw that 25" HP few days ago, it was very impressive. Dells are pretty popular and good but in the end, they are pretty much the same so buy the one that you feel is good. Also, you can use MDP to DVI, it's cheaper

3. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reply

Does anybody think a monitor is even worth it, or should i save myself a few hundred and just used a laptop on a desk...

4. alex028 macrumors newbie

Do it!

A couple of weeks ago i bought a HP 2310I monitor, 23".

Even if i have a 17" notebook, it is very pleasant to work with an larger monitor and a higher resolution. It is compared to the notebook a small investment, but you will have a lot of fun with the second monitor.

It will take a week to get used to the second screen, but it is surely worth it.

(In my case, i use my notebook and second monitor for webdesign and coding, if you use your notebook only for a little bit webbrowsing it isn't very usefull.)

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I use an ACER h233H I got from Best Buy for less than 200$. I like it so far and have been using it in my design work extensively for the past.... 6-8 months. No dead pixels, bleeding or tint issues. It also has HDMI, Dvi, and Vga ports on the back of it so you can hook a variety of things up to it. I like it. It's 1080p which is good enough for me right now. Here's a pic of it. I never thought Acer would have made decent monitors, but this one rivals my Macbook's screen for vividness and clarity even.
    In the photo is my old Mini that I used to have hooked to it. I don't have that anymore.

Attached Files:

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

LOL and no the macbook didn't fall off the desk. ahahah It was only there for a few seconds :D

7. brendu macrumors 68020

I picked up a 24" dell a few months back for $270... its a great screen and I love it.. HP makes solid monitors as well...

8. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replys!!!

And I will be using my new MacBook Pro for video editing, which is why I think a bigger external monitor would be helpful.

Ok so now I am looking at the Acer H223H, and it looks pretty nice. I was kinda leaning on saying no to it since I didnt think Acer was a really good company. Im using an Acer laptop right now, and I hate it, thats why Im going to a MacBook Pro.

Along with video editing, I will be doing the usual Internet browsing and school work, which is why I need a MacBook rather than an iMac.

HP 2509m is still in my top choices.

Does anybody recommend this Monitor

9. videoworker macrumors newbie

Heard of this brand of monitor? They're great!

Check out Planar.com.

Planar makes monitors for medical applications, they know their stuff.

I've owned a Planar 17" that has been paired with my old 15" powerbook since 2004. I bought a 22" Planar for my wife's Mac Mini. It's great!

10. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I quickly looked at them, and I kinda want a 22-25 inch and that planar company seems pretty pricy.

I also live in Canada, so shipping is going to cost alot...