2010 Macbook Pro Freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSax1234, Jul 7, 2010.

1. iSax1234 macrumors regular

Ok, so heres my situation. Recently my Macbook Pro has been freezing a lot. Sometimes it will freeze at Start Up as soon as I get to the login window. The mouse won't move and the keyboard doesn't work. Sometimes I experience this half way through login window (as I'm typing my password). Then if I type my password and log in by the time everything has pulled up, it freezes again no mouse or keyboard response. When I get logged in my iStats show full CPU usage on both cores. Ok so if I ever get logged in, sometimes it takes 10 shutdowns and start ups till I can get it logged in, it'll randomly freeze.

So basically it freezes a lot. I'm thinking that this is a software issue, and maybe a clean install will fix all of this. Strangely enough, Photoshop CS4 has began to crash among dragging layers as soon as this has started.

So should I back up, and clean install everything. Or just take it to Apple, (my screen has keyboard yellow green impressions anyway).

Thanks for the help.

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

4. iSax1234 thread starter macrumors regular

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

It sounds like your MacBook Pro's acting up all the time :( .

Why not try starting from the gray Mac OS X disc that came with your MacBook Pro? There's really not much that you can do on there, but if it's freezing while booted from the Mac OS X disc, you'll know there's a physical problem with your machine.

How did you transfer your data to your MacBook Pro?

6. iSax1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm going to do a clean install. I just need to buy an external. My data originally came from 2008 White Macbook Via Firewire 400 to 800.

7. fluffyx macrumors 6502

A clean install is rarely necessary, and software problems usually don't cause "hard freezing" whereby the mouse won't move. Before you go through the trouble of a clean install, try booting from your Mac OS X install disc and see if the problem persists there.