2010 MacBook Pro Freezing Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ronin64, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Ronin64 macrumors member

Hi, I have a 2010 MacBook Pro and it will freeze up almost everyday. I found a way around the freezing, but I would like to know if anyone knows a why to fix it right.

Basically what was happening is I would be using my Mac and I would get a beach ball spinning and would have to hold the power button to turn it off and start it up again. But when I started using a program call gfxCardStatus to keep my Mac on the Intel GPU to save a little battery, it stopped getting the beach ball. So I was thinking it was the 330m GPU was the problem, but I've been playing a lot of games recently and would manually switch to the 330m and have not seen any beach balls.

So I was thinking could it possibly be a problem happening when the Mac automatically switches between the two GPUs?

Thanks in advance

2. Ronin64 thread starter macrumors member

3. mihirkamat macrumors newbie

mihirkamat

I had this same problem. It's the automatic graphics switching.
    Once i turned it off in energy saver preferences, my freezing
    Disappeared.

4. Ronin64 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so its the auto switching that causes the freezing, but does anyone know of a fix for the problem? I would like my MacBook Pro to be able to switch between them without freezing.

5. mihirkamat macrumors newbie

mihirkamat

MBP Freezing

I looked for a solution forever - months.
    Apple put out a graphics update, didn't help.
    Tried a bunch of other stuff, none of it helped.
    Finally got fed up and just turned graphics switching off.

Since then, rock solid. No problems with coming out of sleep,
    freezing at the login screen, etc.

Sadly, Apple's graphics switching implementation just doesn't
    work. If it were a new MBP, I might hold out hope that they
    would fix it, but sadly I think the 2010s are off their
    radar and probably will never get a fix.

:(

6. ssajous macrumors member

There are 2 issues here with 2 different solutions.

There is one known issue with mid 2010 MBPs that causes the screen to go black or grey and only a hard reboot can fix. This happens while someone is working on the machine and not while it's asleep. Apple pretends that a logic board change will fix it. I say pretend, because they were nice enough to change mine, but the issue persisted, and from all the posts that I have read on the interwebs, I am not the only one still having issues.

The only thing that made it stop happening was to turn off the automatic display switching that the OS does.

The second issue is one where when the machine goes to sleep alone after a period of idle time, it does not want to wake back up. I found that the only way to fix that issue is to
    1 - keep the hard drive from ever going to sleep
    2 - keep the machine itself from ever going to sleep

Both when it is plugged into a power source.
    It sucks but I am out of warranty and they will not replace my machine for me.

Hope that helps.

7. serguti macrumors newbie

Will mountain lion fix this?

I had the same issue. Switched back to Snow Leopard and is working great!!! apparently the issue is fixed. I wondered if Mountain Lion will fix this problem. Someone with the display issue fix it?.

Regards,