2010 MacBook Pro Kernel Panics and Other Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccashman92, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I've recently been having issues with kernel panics and my screen making static from old pages I've surfed(Its like scattered images of the last 5-10 sites I've looked at), mainly Gmail. It seems to be when I'm running a lot of flash before hand. Any idea on whats happening?

2. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Check your system logs but I had the same issue. There's an incompatibility between the Intel HD graphics processor and webkit rendering as currently implemented. Apple is replacing my system, hopefully with a new model. I think the issue is an engineering flaw. Good luck.

P.s. Your kernel panics will reference com.apple.drivers.inteldhd...
    With a few backtraces to webkit and system I/O

4. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I took it to my Apple store multiple time now and all they keep telling me is "They are working on a patch for it!" Its been a year and we've had multiple patches saying they would fix it but nothing has.

I'll probably go back in tomorrow and see what I can talk them into doing. Thanks for the insight. I need as much insight as I can to try to make these people realize there is no patch!

5. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

It is the 2010 15" MacBook Pro, high-end. So I believe so.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sorry I mean, are you actively running OS X in 64-bit mode (either holding the "6" + "4" at bootup or setting the x86_64 flag)?

7. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I just boot it like normal. I haven't done any major changes to the settings what so ever either. How would I check?

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

try:
    :apple: > about this mac > more info (or just option + :apple: > system profiler)

then:

software > "64-bit kernel and extentions:" = yes/no

9. ccashman92, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like I'm not. It shows "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No"

10. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Does it matter?

11. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

That is what I am wondering. He never said why he wanted to know. haha

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I too was having kernel panics and I also force 64-bit mode, so when I went back to 32-bit they went away for the most part.

Just tryin' a lil troubleshooting :D

13. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Ah interesting. I was forcing 64-bit too for a while but had gone back to 32-bit mode.

14. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I have experienced this same issue on and off (rarely) and my wife has very recently and more frequently. Both were on the upper end 15 (i7 2.66 with VRAM cards - 512mb)

I bought a new quad core today but would love love love to get hers swapped for a new one!

15. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. I'm gonna go in and show them the pics and videos I took of it. Also show them this forum where others are experiencing the same issues. Hopefully they will get over the fact they wont be releasing a patch for it.

16. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Good luck and please let me know how it goes.

17. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm getting my replacement in 1-2 weeks! But it wasn't easy.

I walked in with in appointment at 5:30PM. It was fairly slow and I got up there around 5:35-5:40. I talk to a guy named Danny. He was very straight forward and told me he would not replace it, no matter what. Well I talked to him for a bit trying to convince him. After a while of repeating himself and ignoring what I was saying, he politely asked me to take a minute and think about if I wanted to take option A: Check it in to the store workshop for about a week, option B: Send it to the workshop in I believe Texas, or last but not least Option C: Take it home.

After he dealt with the next person I asked to speak with a manager, Jason, to see what he can do. It took about 5 minutes for him to come out and I explained my situation showing him the pictures, videos, and explaining how upset I was. After that he looked over my report and went to the back. About 10-15 minutes later he came out telling me he would replace it! But only cause it is a known defect with flash player and it is pre-installed with Mac OS X. (This is probably another big reason they are removing it from being pre-installed. Since Mac OS X is the only software some what covered in the warranty.)

He set me back up with Danny who seemed very happy about the entire situation. He kept telling me I would only get the standard definition display on my replacement which I was told by the manager I would get the same configuration. He then had to stated that all the generations have different textures and color. Which I know isn't true and he only made that remark cause they gave me a replacement that I believe was refurbished, mainly because it was discolored, and had a very unusual rough texture and they refused to give it to me in a new box. Even though I had the old ones box and everything it came with. He also continued to make remarks about my past visits and stuff trying to make me feel bad. I didn't end up leaving till 6:45, but it was well worth it.

But anyway, I'm happy that I'm getting it replaced. I probably will sell this one and wait till either summer when Mac OS X Lion is released or wait till 2012 for this rumored re-model. Thanks everyone for their insight and help. Much appreciated. :)

18. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Glad you got it replaced and that you are happy with the end results. I think I will make a genius bar appointment with the screen shots etc that I have. Debating on waiting a few weeks so they are out of the older models. My wives is a i7 2.66 and I would like to try and make a push for a new quad. Wish me luck and thanks for sharing your experience.

19. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm receiving the following (the old one is in my signature.): 2.3GHz Intel Quad-core, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPMs.

I believe thats all the changes from the stock model. But still a huge jump. Good luck! Just remember to be firm and don't take no for an answer. Also, the manager is the only one who can clear the replacement. So make sure you talk to one!