2010 MacBook Pro, knocked on floor, dented.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WardC, Mar 22, 2012.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I have a late 2010 model 15" MacBook Pro (2.8GHz) that I purchased in February 2011, coincidentally a week before the new 2011 models came out.

A few months ago, my MacBook Pro was knocked off my desk onto a carpeted floor by my cat (while it was shut and asleep). I did not not notice any immediate damage, but a couple days later I noticed a small 2-inch dent in the upper case on the outside of the display, in the aluminum. The MacBook still functions fine, but I would like to see about getting the display housing repaired or replaced. Does Apple do these kind of repairs? I do not have AppleCare on the computer, it is now too late to purchase AppleCare, but I would be willing to pay for the repairs myself within reason.

Basically I would need the outer part of the display housing (the aluminum part on the back of the display) replaced. Anybody know if this can be done, and if Apple would do such a repair? Thanks.

2. darkmaxdevil macrumors member

I believe they will just replace the display itself and it will cost you dearly.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Also, don't curse yourself for not having Applecare... they don't cover accidental damage.

I wouldn't have it repaired... costs a lot and brings very little benefit, unless you suffer from OCD.

5. chilly7 macrumors member

Did u speak with ur cat? Maby he could cover at list half of the cost of repeir....

6. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

The dent is on the outer casing, the aluminum backing (the top part when closed). It is a small dent about 1.5 inches long but can be seen when light hits the MacBook Pro at an angle. The reason it is an issue for me, I want to sell this model on eBay to purchase a newer one when they come out, and I would like it to be mint condition. It only has about five charge cycles on it (I have used my MacBook Airs for everything practically). So it's basically brand new.

Any way Apple could just replace the aluminum casing of the top shell?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, Apple only replaces the entire display clamshell, which would not be a cheap repair. You're better off taking the hit on the pricing than paying for the repair, if that's your plan.

jW

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't know, I've been trying to get mine to cook and get the groceries for the last 6 years, all they've managed is eat, sleep, and fill up the litter box. And sleep on my computer.

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If your comfortable doing it yourself you can probably find the part online. Powerbookmedic.com has a decent selection of parts and ifixit probably has directions to do it as they have instructions for almost everything. This will save you big time money as others have said Apple will only replace the entire display and it will cost you. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself then I would just take the hit on the resale. If you have Apple do it your unlikely to recover the cost when you sell it.

10. chilly7 macrumors member

Hmm, very usable information

11. AppChat macrumors regular

12. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

That right there is the cooking part though, if you use your imagination, and arent to picky about what you eat. o_O

13. andrew524 macrumors newbie

I pretty much had the same problem happen to me about an hour ago with a larger dent that actually bent the housing slightly. The dent is preventing the Mac from shutting flush unless I apply pressure. I am covered by Applecare for another year will they replace my housing display?

14. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Many people would take it regardless of dents. I have seen much, much worse for sale at high prices. Usually as long as it works, its worth a huge amount more.

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, but you have to pay for it. Applecare is for technical defects, it doesn't cover accidental damage.