2010 MacBook Pro new owner help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benzkid89, Mar 20, 2016.

1. benzkid89 macrumors member

benzkid89

I have a few questions about a MacBook Pro I just bought. I'm a computer science major and I have been wanting to dip my toes into the Mac world to get familiar with the OS. I picked up a mid 2010 MacBook Pro for 175 on eBay. The computer has 8 gigs of ram and the standard 500 GB hard drive.

The battery is is shot on the system so I have to run it off the power cord until I find a new battery. (Also i was playing music and after about 45 minutes it cut off, I dk if it was because the cord was lose or what)

Biggest issue I have is the previous owner didn't have the original discs and he never logged out of the computer (he just deleted his files). I made an appointment with the Apple Store for tomorrow to see if they could wipe the system and reinstall the OS. The OS currently on it is Yosemite but I believe it shipped with Snow leopard.

Just wanted to ask if there was anything I can do to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS without going to the Apple Store.

Thanks for all the insight.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You should be able to use Internet recovery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

3. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Note, you can't upgrade the RAM any further.
    You may not be able to pay the Apple store people to replace the battery. Which I did for about $140 a year ago, since it just went "obsolete" in the US. You will probably have to look for a third party company, or try it yourself. I didn't want to do the risk a year ago.

4. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

the mid 2010 MBP can run 16GB of RAM...

5. benzkid89 thread starter macrumors member

benzkid89

I tried this method but it keeps asking to enter the Apple ID when I try to install Yosemite (which the previous user had upgraded to) however my Apple ID doesn't work (which I assume is because the copy is still tied to the previous owners account).

I hate that the previous owner didn't log out but if the Apple Store can wipe it and reinstall everything for a small fee I will be happy. One side is the guy had some good music on here, I may have to grab some albums lol

I'm sorry to clarify I probably won't mess with the RAM I meant to say I may put in a SSD.

I have to say so far this puppy has been snappy so far. Not much lag that I can tell.

6. r6mile macrumors 6502

Absolutely put in a new SSD, will make it seem like new.

Do you have an USB drive with 8GB of RAM, and access to another Mac? If so, you can just make a bootable installer of OS X El Capitan, and wipe the HDD and install the OS X from that.

7. benzkid89 thread starter macrumors member

benzkid89

I think I have one somewhere. I've read that as an option from the old posts that I have been searching through.

My coworker has I think around a 2010 or a 2009 Mac that we upgraded to El Cap a few weeks ago. I could possibly ask to use hers later this week. I could look into it if the Apple Store can't help me today. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to go ahead and make one just in case I need to reinstall the OS in the future.

I did try to create a new account on the Mac but of course I don't have the previous owner's Apple account info and it will not let me make another Admin account on the computer.

8. r6mile macrumors 6502

The Apple Store should be able to help you wipe and install El Capitan, but if not, just use your coworker's iMac to download El Capitan from the App Store, and follow one of the many internet tutorials that explain how to make a bootable USB drive.

9. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

OP: You should download El Capitan from the App Store using your Apple ID so it will be available as a previous "Purchase" if needed at a later date.

10. benzkid89 thread starter macrumors member

benzkid89

Okay, I think I saw a program that can make a bootable drive once I download it from the Store. Man there is a ton a new stuff I have to learn about this system. Last time I used one was middle school and they were the colored back ones.

Also would this run VMWare pretty well? I plan on installing Windows 7 and 10 for school, and I can get a license for a year for free through our Computer Science department partnership.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    So I should do that after they wipe and reinstall the OS on the system? I don't have a way to download it now.

11. CoastalOR, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Correct, after your system is working. If you use El Capitan only from a friend then you will never have a record on your purchases unless you download the full install app with your Apple ID. When the install app has completed the download it will automatically launch. Just Quit it. The "Install OS X El Capitan" app will be a little over 6 Gb in your Applications folder. I would recommend saving the install app somewhere not attached to your system (the App Store will not let you re-download installer app if it can see it on any drive currently attached to your computer), then you can delete the install app from the Applications folder.

BTW: Here are a couple of ways to make a bootable El Capitan USB thumb drive.

12. benzkid89 thread starter macrumors member

benzkid89

Thank you very much for the information! I can't wait to get off work to get started. You guys have been very helpful!