2010 macbook pro...screen goes fuzzy and unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andy202, Dec 5, 2014.

1. andy202 macrumors newbie

Hi last night my computer starer having fuzzy(see image) stuff come across the screen and the computer would be unresponsive....and get hot...only way to solve is to reboot.

Done hardware test via the CD and comes back fine.

Repaired permission etc

Cleared PRAM

Still does it...any ideas

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Is it the 15 inch with dedicated graphics card 330M??

If so then your graphics card has gone. I would say its a graphics problem whatever, but that model had a repair program for a couple of years that has now unfortunately ended.

3. andy202 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for reply....that's what I fear it would be...

Any idea on cost to fix? Seen some quotes on saying $600 which I guess is bout £400 ish...#

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yeah for a motherbord replacement, you can ask for the standard fee fix which I think is £300 ish.

Also if you are in england you have consumer rights laws that should protect you from this sort of failure for 6 years so go and argue your case.

They are on the apple website but they will try not to recognise them I expect, so print them out before you go in.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That sounds about right, cost wise, since the GPU is soldered onto the logic board. As Samuelsan2001, know your rights as a consumer, you may have some options with apple repairing it.

6. andy202 thread starter macrumors newbie

In regards to the Sales of Goods Act, i have contacted the company i brought it from and they have told me that as i was purchased through a company it unfortunately wont apply so i would have to pay all costs. Annoyingly the way they told me this, seemed to indicate that i may of have a case had it not been brought through the company..

Unless they have misled me?