2010 Macbook pro TO 2011 Help NEEDED please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djt511, Mar 15, 2011.

1. djt511 macrumors newbie

Alright so i have an early 2010 MBP that i decided to sell to get the 2011 model. Upon receiving my 2011 MBP i thought that i could just take out my SSD from the old mbp, install it, and boot right up like normal. That did not work, when i turned on the Mac it just was froze on the apple screen.

when i hook it up as an external drive it works fine, what do i need to do? I would like to use my SSD obviously and not the HDD that came with my MBP, in the easiest fashion!

2. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Fresh install of Snow Leopard should do the trick

3. djt511 thread starter macrumors newbie

on the ssd? wouldn't that erase my info?

4. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Time machine backup first to an external drive (from the old MBP) then fresh install and recover apps and data from Time Machine using the migration assistant.

This is assuming you still have the old MBP and haven't already got rid.

5. Inside_line macrumors regular

The 2011 has a different part number, it went from TSXXXB to TSXXXC (XXX=capacity in GB). Please let us know how this works out, it will be good information to others who also want to perform this swap.

I'd guess your problem is that despite both machines have 10.6.6, they have different builds. Let us know how you get on with the install from your system restore software.

6. adrian1480, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

adrian1480 macrumors 6502

Migration Assistant.

Use it.

I'd recommend

1.) backing up on your old computer with Carbon Copy Cloner to a USB HDD

2.) Format the SSD in the new computer and install a fresh copy of OS X

3.) using Migration Assistant on first boot on the new computer to migrate from the Carbon Copy Cloner backup on your USB HDD.

-or-

1.) keep the HDD that came with the 2011 machine in the 2011 machine and the SSD in the 2010

2.) Run migration assistant on the new computer

3.) Connect the 2 computers using a firewire or ethernet cable and migrate

4.) After rebooting to your desktop on the 2011, run carbon copy cloner and save everything to an external USB HDD

5.) remove 2011 HDD and install SSD

6.) Boot off of USB HDD (the one with the Carbon Copy Cloner backup on it, by holding option at boot)

7.) Run Carbon Copy Cloner and copy files from the external USB to the internal SSD.

sounds more complicated than it is.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Just reinstall the OS. The kernel's are different, that is why it doesn't start up. Install drive and load the disk that came with new MBP. Start up and hold the C key and reinstall the OS over the top of the old. It will update and everything will be in place like it was before, will take about 45 min to complete (I would recommend having a backup just in case). No need to wipe anything and it will work like new (although I agree that sometimes a fresh install is the best).