2010 MacBook Pro- TrackPad & Keyboard Freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awdtrash, Feb 25, 2011.

1. awdtrash macrumors newbie

I recently purchased this 13" macbook pro 2.4ghz a couple days ago and noticed that sometimes the keyboard and trackpad becomes unresponsive, forcing me to hold down the power button to shut it down. Everything on the screen works, but the trackpad and keyboard doesn't. This happened, on average, 2 to 3 times a day ever since I've owned it. Has anyone on this forum experienced this issue? if so, how did you find the solution? Please help!

2. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Strangely enough, this just happened to me earlier today...

I have a Magic Mouse and that still worked, even though the keyboard/trackpad stopped working.

3. awdtrash thread starter macrumors newbie

Does your keyboard/trackpad not work at all?

my keyboard/trackpad becomes unresponsive randomly at any given moment. it's becoming ridiculous.

4. awdtrash thread starter macrumors newbie

5. awdtrash thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Reset your PRAM, NVRAM, and SMC. Instructions are available from Apple.

7. JDENredden macrumors newbie

8. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

What happens if you use an external keyboard or mouse (such as an Apple Wireless Keyboard or Magic Mouse, or a USB keyboard mouse) to put the computer to sleep, then wake it back up? Does your keyboard and trackpad become responsive again?

9. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Yes it does help.

In what was my early 08 mbp this used to happen A LOT at some point. The ribbon next to the battery seemed to be the cause and after doing the sticky tape or folded post it method this was solved for a few months. Then it came back.

Eventually it was better to just sell the laptop to someone that knew the issues but wanted it to run in clamshell mode 24/7. I tried to get it fixed from Apple but after multiple trips to the Apple Store they were never able to recreate the problem. They did replace the top cover once and the logic board once too due to a failure, but this did nothing. In the end they weren't taking me seriously any more, store or over the phone, so I stopped trying to get it fixed. Sad end to what was a really powerful mbp.

10. silverf1re, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

silverf1re macrumors regular

I enabled 64 bit kernel and extentions yesterday on my new 2010 refurb. When I restarted the samething happened to me. The MacBook didn't lock because the clock was still going, just the keyboard and trackpad were unresponsive. I had to hard shutdown and upon reboot everything was fine. Still strange though