Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoeshine

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Is there a way to figure out what got damaged in a water incident with a MacBook Pro? Meaning, I'm wondering if the whole logic board is fried or maybe just a component that would be fixable. like only replacing the top case components? I've hired it for a long time, and no dice.

I'd say it was a light amount of water from a small spill. it did hit near the MagSafe AC port. And I know water was on the keyboard area. Some things I noticed: the battery indicator LED is still working, the led on the MagSafe connection lights up, but it doesn't seem to charge.

I'm assuming this is a lost case, but figure its worth exploring options....

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Is there a way to figure out what got damaged in a water incident with a MacBook Pro? Meaning, I'm wondering if the whole logic board is fried or maybe just a component that would be fixable. like only replacing the top case components? I've hired it for a long time, and no dice.

I'd say it was a light amount of water from a small spill. it did hit near the MagSafe AC port. And I know water was on the keyboard area. Some things I noticed: the battery indicator LED is still working, the led on the MagSafe connection lights up, but it doesn't seem to charge.

I'm assuming this is a lost case, but figure its worth exploring options....

Can we assume you've dried it for a long time, not hired it? Really you already know the answer here: Now is the time to say goodbye, now is the time to yield a sigh..... Computer makers, Apple included, know darn well that we don't need a couple of millimetres off our laptops' thickness, but some resistance to spillage hazards would be welcome commonsense.

snicklesnackle

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2017
I take it you can't get it to boot up? Does the screen show anything? I've never repaired a MacBook but I have heard the unibody design complicates things. Whatever it is, Apple will definitely be able to diagnose it. Just take it into a store.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
My old 2008 15" MBP had a good 2 cups of water, poured directly on it, in it, all over it. It was inoperable for a solid 6 weeks of failed turn on attempts. Luckily I had an iMac, and Windows laptop for daily use and intermittent travel. After 2-3 months, I was getting ready to place my order for a new one, when I gave it one last try - chimes, successful startup, and has been humming along ever since. The misses uses it to this day.

Sometimes they really do rise from the grave.

I'd try getting all data off of it first, remove the HD, and put it in an enclosure. But other than that, I'm sorry. Guess I got on here to give you a little encouragement.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

shoeshine

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
I did dry for a long time! a solid week before attempting turning on. But it was on (sleeping) when the water spill happened. So I had to open to lid to get to the power button to shut it down.

no chime, no action on screen. I do know its toast. Already the proud owner of a new 13" ntbMBP (base processor but 16gb and 512gb upgrades. love it!). I was just trying to see if I should chuck it, or if its worth trying to get it back to life for a backup/spare machine. internal drive on old machine was fine, I pulled it and bounced all my data to the new machine with no problems.

Will Apple actually diagnose something like this? or will they just automatically say new logic board.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Are there any Apple Certified 3rd party stores in your area? It might be worth calling around to see if any of them do logic board repair and what, if anything, it would cost to get it diagnosed. I think the problem you are likely to run in to is that, even if it is repairable, the repair bill could quickly go higher than the value of the computer itself, especially if it is a 13-inch C2D model, as I've seen them used for several hundred dollars. If that is the case, one of those third party certified repair places might buy it from you to use for parts if the case or monitor is in good condition.

mastermind6192

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2010
USA
I did dry for a long time! a solid week before attempting turning on. But it was on (sleeping) when the water spill happened. So I had to open to lid to get to the power button to shut it down.

no chime, no action on screen. I do know its toast. Already the proud owner of a new 13" ntbMBP (base processor but 16gb and 512gb upgrades. love it!). I was just trying to see if I should chuck it, or if its worth trying to get it back to life for a backup/spare machine. internal drive on old machine was fine, I pulled it and bounced all my data to the new machine with no problems.

Will Apple actually diagnose something like this? or will they just automatically say new logic board.

Well per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624 unless you live in California this product is considered to be vintage and can't be serviced by an Apple Store. As far as liquid damage goes they would most likely provide a quote and wouldn't necessarily include the logic board, but it can get expensive regardless.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
At least 6 years old. Stick a fork in it. It's done.

Whatever the cost will be to repair, it will be way too much for a 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.