2010 Macbook pro weird sound?

Loganicus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hi, my macbook pro just started to randomly make a really weird sound. When I opened the laptop there was a weird buzzing sound, almost like a harddrive spinning or a cd spinning. Now here's the weird part. If I push on top of the keyboard in the middle the sounds stop, but immediately upon letting go it starts again. It isn't as loud as it was when I initially opened it this morning. I have applecare, but can't get there because I am currently in college without a car. Please let me know if you need any information and I will post once I get back from class in a couple of hours.

Thanks in advance,

Logan

This is a 15 inch macbook pro if that information is needed

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Almost certainly a fan causing that noise. Might just need to be cleaned out. How good are you with electronics and tools?

jW

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Are you sure there is no DVD/CD inside, if that is not the case then I would recommend you to make a back up, looks like the HDD is on its way out.

Or what Mal suggested.

Loganicus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
@ Mal
I would like to think that I would be able to do that, but everytime I think about opening my laptop I grow hesistant for the fear that my applecare will be voided. Is this just a simple open, clean, close? Thanks again

@Justperry
I am positive that there isn't any cd inside. I've barely used the cd drive actually :). I was afraid that it might be the harddrive. Do you happen to know if this is covered by applecare? Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to make a quick backup with timemachine just in case.

The noise has actually died down a bit just by sitting here using it. Would that point more to a fan or harddrive?

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Just get some compressed air, take off the bottom cover, blow it out, and put back on the cover, without touching anything inside.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.