2010 MacBook Pro wont sleep!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The-Pro, Feb 26, 2012.

1. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Mornin,

For a couple days now my 15" 2.66 i7 MBP wont fall asleep. Neither when closing the lid nor when clicking on sleep from the apple drop down menu. The display turns of but the light doesn't pulse and I can still hear the fans. I left it an entire night and it still hadn't fallen asleep by the morning.
    Occasionally after opening the screen again the screen turns on and then off again like 2-3 seconds later as if its falling asleep. I can only wake it up again through closing and reopening the screen or by the shortcut for sleep. However it stays in this loop. I have to turn it off, or restart it to stop this behaviour.

I have done an SMC reset like 10 times. At least I pressed the right keys etc. No way of knowing if it actually did the reset or not.
    I have quitted all applications apart from gfxcardstatus and iStatMenues which are in the bar at the top. Doesn't help!
    After opening the screen in the console it says:

2/26/12 11:26:54.000 AM kernel: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 2977 goto Exit
    2/26/12 11:26:49.000 AM kernel: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in AppleHDAController at line 6612 goto handler
    2/26/12 11:26:51.000 AM kernel: Sound assertion - Command/Response TIMED OUT and ( kRequestStateMatch == fCodecRequest->state = 2 ), fCodecRequest->command->codec: -549401409280, fCodecRequest->command->verb: 0x10172001, fPoweredDown: 1, fAppleGraphicsControllerPoweredOn: 0
    2/26/12 11:26:51.000 AM kernel: Sound assertion "0 == fResetAsserted" failed in AppleHDAController at line 4810 goto handler

and various other messages all around the Sound assertion thing. Up until this morning it always only displayed
    2/26/12 11:26:54.000 AM kernel: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 2977 goto Exit
    four times. There weren't any other messages like there are today.

Two days ago it did fall asleep but didn't so far.
    Anyone know what the problem might be? Or has someone had the same problem? Its really annoying if the MBP consumes battery when im not using it in my bag.

Cheers, hope someone can help :)

2. The-Pro thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting thank you.

From the third link i typed that into terminal and got the following:
    Assertion status system-wide:
    ChargeInhibit 0
    PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
    PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0
    NoRealPowerSources_debug 0
    CPUBoundAssertion 0
    EnableIdleSleep 1
    PreventSystemSleep 1
    DisableInflow 0
    DisableLowPowerBatteryWarnings 0
    ExternalMedia 0

Listed by owning process:
    pid 38: [0x0000012c00000026] PreventSystemSleep named: "org.cups.cupsd"

Kernel Assertions: None

Question is what does the "org.cups.cupsd" mean. I know its something to do with printers. I have a printer hooked up to my airport express. That has never caused problems though.

I just figured out that if I enable printer sharing it goes to sleep fine, without it ticked it doesn't sleep

3. The-Pro thread starter macrumors 65816

oh wow, took me a while but for some reason my Canon iP4300 was "in use" according to the printer system prefs. The Canon iP4300-1 is the one connected to the airport express.
    I deleted the first one and now it sleeps. Awkward. It did that completely on its own.

thanks for the help GGJ

out of curiosity, what is this though? 2/26/12 11:26:54.000 AM kernel: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 2977 goto Exit