2010 MacBook Pro Won't Start

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abbeybound, Jun 5, 2018.

1. abbeybound macrumors member

Hi all, I have a 2010 MacBook Pro with some really strange behavior. Trying to start it, it hung on a white screen forever.
    I ran apple hardware test, both the short and long test, and that came up with no errors.
    I replaced the hard drive with a spare, and then disconnected the hard drive flex cable (expecting that to be bad.)
    Reset the PRAM and SMC.
    Tried to boot with network restore, it downloaded the boot data and seemed like it would come up, but once the spinning globe went away, the screen flashed and went white indefinitely again. Both with the HD flex cable connected and not.

I haven't managed to get anywhere. I took the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure. It clicked and wouldn't start. Tapped on it a few times and it spun up and worked fine, even passed first aid... So I thought it was the HD or the HD cable, but without either it still won't boot into recovery mode, or from USB or firewire target disk mode. AHT and boot option screens work fine. I'm at a total loss, do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

Someone at a genius bar or at an Apple authorized repair facility may be more equipped to figure it out

3. abbeybound thread starter macrumors member

The nearest Apple store is two hours away, so that's not really an option.

4. Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    Buying a new computer IS

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Is it possible that both hard drives were "flaky"?

As mentioned above, might be time to start shopping for a replacement.

6. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Did your 2010 come with a USB boot drive? Mine did. Look in your documentation, that's where it is. If you have one insert it and restart holding the option key down. You will be given the option of booting off the stick. See if the computer will boot. If it does then you know you have a problem with your drive or drive controller. You can run disk utility from the stick to see if it can repair the drive. If it won't boot then you have another problem, perhaps in the graphics card or more like with bad ram. Good luck.