2010 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cris623, Apr 14, 2011.

1. cris623 macrumors newbie

I bought a 2010 15" 2.4 Ghz i5 a couple months ago. Lately I've noticed that my hard drive spins a little more loud. Initially I thought it was the fans but after reading I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive. If i put slight pressure right of the track pad the noise quiets a bit. I'm not sure if I just haven't noticed it before but I was more wondering if this was normal. I've checked fan speeds and their floating around 2000 rpm which is normal, so I'm pretty sure it's not fans.

Thanks!

2. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Try checking your hard drive by
    Restart
    Hold Cmd S
    Type "/sbin/fsck -fy" without quotes.
    If it runs ok then it should be fine.
    If it were me though and my HD was making noise I would back up and change it out.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

It is interesting that the noise subsides when you press down to the right of the trackpad. I wonder whether the retaining bar that holds the HDD in place has come loose?

4. cris623, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

cris623 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks both of you, I went to the apple store yesterday and then talked to applecare this morning. The guy at the apple store said it shouldn't make any noise at all and then the applecare guy had me run some diagnostics and they came back normal so he said I can go have a genius look at it or leave it.

I'm just worried that it's a normal noise and i'm going to look silly going to the apple store about a noise you can only hear in a completely silent room. It just bothers me that it wasn't there when I first got it and now I can hear it even when my computer is just sitting there with no applications running at all.

Anyways I was just wondering if you could hear anything from your macs in a silent room or am I just being overly sensitive?

By the way it's only a 5400 rpm drive, if that makes a difference

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You shouldn't be able to hear the laptop even in a silent room. Other than the fans running under workload of course. You shouldn't be able to hear the hard drive at all unless you put your ear right up against the chassis.

6. cris623 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I can definitely hear it standing up 5 feet away from my laptop which is sitting on a desk if I listen for it.
    So I should take it to the apple store?