2010 MacBook Pros and Hard drive spinning noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reckless_0001, Apr 23, 2010.

1. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

When I first started using my 15" i5 2.53, I noticed a light fan noise. Then I later found out that it wasn't a fan noise because it was coming from the hard drive. It's constant, it sounds like a quiet fan... Is it normal? Was hoping it would be "Silent" like most have reported... :confused:

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

A mechanical hard drive will certainly make some noise especially when its being written to (example: copying a large file to your computer) If it is making a clicking sound then you need to get it serviced!

3. reckless_0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

No clicking, just a constant (not variable) whirring. This while happens while it's sitting idle...

4. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

I have the exact same computer and the only time I can ever hear the hard drive spinning (unless I actually put my ear directly up to my MBP) is when my computer initially starts up. You might want to take your MBP to the Apple Store to have it checked out.

5. man02195 macrumors regular

Which hard drive do you have? capacity and rpm?

6. reckless_0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. reckless_0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. a0911091837 macrumors member

I think I have same problem with my previous one as well, it can only be hear when in the perfect silent room, especially at night which make you feel headache. I went to apple store today and exchange another one, and now I feel better. Maybe worth a try. Good Lock!

9. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I think I know what you're referring to.

I used to own one of the first 15" unibodies (late 2008) and I noticed there was this wind-blowing sound.

Turns out it was coming from the hard disk compartment and whenever I lightly rested my arm on that edge of the MBP the sound would cease.

10. Kunal, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

Kunal macrumors newbie

I own a 13" unibody (mid 2010)
    The SAME thing happens to me, as soon as i rest my palms on the palm rests, i feel the hard drive stops spinning entirely.. did you ever find a solution to this problem?
    I feel like i should maybe tighten the screws further on the bottom of the computer.
    (My model has the non removable battery)

11. Jimi-Hendricks macrumors newbie

Kunal, I had the same problem on my 15" mid2010

I tried both to fasten and loosen the screws on the botton, I even tried loosen and fasten the screws on the harddrive inside the computer a couple of times. Nothing helped.

I tried to install a small 80GB harddrive, which I knew was very very silent when working ( the 1 from my white Macbook ), and the noiselevel is clearly amplified by the alu-box itself. I think the fastening-system in the alu-box is the problem.........2 screws and 4 pieces of plastic/rubber isn't good enough, apperently.

I swapped my stock-drive with an Intel 160 GB SSD a week ago, to get rid of that bloody noise, and it works perfect.......Expensive but good.

12. vanc macrumors 6502

On a noisier environment, such as office, you may not notice the HDD whirring sound. But at home, in a bedroom, the noise is very noticeable.

I own a mid-2009 MBP 15'. It's preinstalled with a 320G 5400RPM hitachi. After a while, upgraded with a 500G WD Scorpion Blue. Both HDDs had the whirring noise. Just not noticeable in office.

Now I am using a 160G intel x25-m G2 SSD. Finally no noise any more.

13. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

I wonder if there would be anything you could put outside the screws to help taper down the noise? Like an extra sliver or rubber from a rubber band or something?

14. Kunal macrumors newbie

hmm.. okay!
    atleast now i know that it isnt a problem i need to worry about..
    i didnt want to go through the hassle of going to the genius bar and explaining the issue and what not..

thanks a lot Jimi!