2010 Macbook Pro's i7, i5, 5830(70) GPU? What Else??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, Jan 27, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

This will be my first thread, however i wanted to address a concern of mine, as well as get my curiosity out there for you guys to comment upon.

I have always been a PC guy. loved em, still do. Windows 7 is great, pc's can be cheap for the money, etc.

However, I work at a video production studio, and my work computer is a Macbook Pro--
    2.8 Ghz Duo
    4 GB DDr3
    500 GB HD
    9600m GT 512

so. Now I am in love with these pieces of crap :)
    I want one. However, with the new i7 line and i5, along with new generation of ATI GPU's and the severe need for Apple to refresh its hardware in these things, should i just wait? Will Apple unveil new MBP's soon?? what will it comprise?

People have said everything from, well an i5 and i7 will be too hot, and a 5870 takes to much power and heat. However, others say;

HP Envy 15 = same form factor, 5830, i7 processor. so it can be done.

IDK, thoughts?????

2. valiar macrumors regular

Huge power supply (with an el cheapo two-pin connector). No optical drive. Runs super-hot. Realistic battery life is about 2.5 hours.

I don't know when the next generation of MBPs would be introduced, but even if they won't have the highest clocked i7. But you can rest assured the batteries will last at least as long as on the current generation MBPs, and they will be really well designed laptops.

I would wait.

3. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

No optical drive perhaps, however an envy 15 idles in the 40's, pretty damn cool for what is in there. Personally, i would trade a super drive for some beefy hardware. (as long as the USB optical wasn't ridiculously overpriced)

4. seanconn macrumors member

we know the usb optical won't be it will be the same 99 dollar superdrive for the air. but i don't think they are going to take out the optical drive.

like previous posters have said, the envy gets a fraction of battery life the MBP gets. I think I would rather see an i5 in the 15, with a 5830 as an option (I don't see Apple putting any other card into the plans, unless nvidia has a similar card with low power consumption and high performance. I really wish they would jsut take out the optical drive and put in a much better gpu as an option on one of the models at least. If they keep up the current system of a discrete gpu+ a performance gpu, all this talk of power consumption and wasting battery life is pretty damned moot.

MBP is designs the best laptops out, especially in terms of reliability. If putting an i7 is going to compromise that, Apple won't do that, nor would we want them to! I see it as an option in the 15" and 17", but I think we can only hope for i5 otherwise... anyways calling the current CPU's in the MBP lineup "dated" is pretty rough.

If Apple doesn't actually upgrade the gpu much at all, I will probably just buy a current gen 17" from the refurb store, and be completely satisfied. Core 2 3.06 GHz Vs i7.... not THAT much of a diff.

5. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

STOP listening to these people telling you to wait..... If you need it, buy it. The updates will not make much a difference if you just want one for home entertainment. What are you going to do when you buy one, and 3 or 6 months later a new one comes out? Are you going to beat yourself up over it? No, you're going to love the one you've got for the next three years.

6. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Yes and no though, I use AE every day, but that isn't really that GPU demanding, however I love to game, and a 9600m gt is just too weak for me. I would rather a 2.26 duo and a 260m GTX than a i7 and a 9600m

Especially with snow leopard and its open CL.

7. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Gaming is superb on mine. COD 4, WOW, and sooner than later Star Wars KTOR

8. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

no offense but, those games are getting old. And cod4 was never that demanding to start. Hell Cod6 isnt all that demanding. I can run it on the MBP at work. Max no AA 1440. But that is nothing really. No one should be impressed by that.

I would like to see the new MBP run say Crysis, 1440x900 Max no AA. that would be something to tout.

9. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

None taken... I have yet to play Crysis. I'm more of a console gamer than on the computer. I edit video on my uMBP. Different strokes for different folks; you know what I mean?

10. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Indeed;
    hmm, well perhaps they just won't do a refresh at all. ;/
    Today i was watching the keynote on Engadget, and Steve started with those pics of the old powerbooks and such, working his way up to the newest MBP's. I kept saying and now the new MBP!!

turned out its a big iphone

11. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I run crysis 1440x900. Can't remember if its max but its definitely high settings no problem:
    MBP 2.8ghz, 4gb RAM, 9600gt 512mb

If you want to cripple a MBP (or anything else) then try Arma 2. It runs slow even on monster systems. Looks unbelievable but only when run at native resolution details high (lower the settings and it becomes a blurry mess).

12. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

well it cant be high on dx10 at least. My PC laptop comes packed with a 9800m GTS 1 GB and that cant handle 1440x900 max dx10. (and there is a pretty huge difference between a 9600m gt and a 9800m GTS)

how long is macworld?? is steve talking tomorrow as well?? not sure how it works. could new things still be announced or is it over

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You do realize there's only a handful of applications that use OpenCL in OSX right? You're most likely not even using OpenCL right now in any of your applications.

14. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

Actually OpenCL and Nvidia's CUDA are critical for what I want to do, as is multi-core portable computing. (I have not bought an Envy because it does not have an Nvidia GPU). I need portable parallel capability for lectures and demos. My wish list is

i7 (1.6-2.8 will do)
    280M Nvidia GPU (250GTS at least)
    4G upgd to 8 RAM
    15in screen

There are solutions like this in the smaller Windows mnfrs, and Sony are close with the F laptop, MSI closer still with the GT640. As long as the battery will survive for 1.5H for a talk, I will be happy with plugging in for longer work.

15. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

go on youtube if you want to see crysis running on a macbook pro. there are plenty of videos showing how it runs. i'm not sure about all the settings, but i came across several examples last time i looked.

16. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

Don't forget about the i7-620M. It's a dual core arrandale with 4 threads. power rating is 35W, same as the 540M, and its clock is 2.66Ghz w/ turbo up to 3.33GHz. Thats what i'm really looking for, not a power hogging REAL quad-core.

17. svnx macrumors newbie

You should wait!!!

People who say you should buy now are CRAZY!!! The problem with the Envy is that it has the i7's that are in the desktops. Intel has just released the Core i3, i5 and i7 for the mobile market. You will see the Envy switch to these processors which will give it the same type of battery life as a MBP.

With that being said, I am also a PC guy that has purchased a MacMini about 2 months ago. I want a MBP as well but I can not see myself purchasing a Core 2 version. The i5's and i7's woop the dog snot out of the Core 2's! Also, we know that traditionally Apple will not increase the price of the new MBP's so why pull the trigger on a Core 2 MBP when the i7 MBP is around the corner?

UPSET: I am disappointed that Apple didn't say ANYTHING...at their MOBILE EVENT... about updated chips for the MBP. I really want one, but not a Core 2.

You should wait...I am.

18. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

definitely agree. My one qualm with macintosh over the years is (two really)
    1. They are overpriced when compared to their PC brethren, no argument there.
    2. The maximum amount of power available is quite low. Even if money is no issue, you still can't go past a Duo. So your smashed in price, and ceiling'd by available components.

I guess my other issue was always that all my favorite programs I use in windows were not for mac, or could not be run natively (so why buy one)
    But now that I have been looking around i see that quite a few are
    1. Utorrent
    2. Ventrillo
    3. Camtasia