2010 MacBook running slowly, fan freaking out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glynes, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Glynes macrumors newbie

Hi all

Experiencing some problems with my 2010 13" MacBook Pro where programs that should normally run fine are causing (what seems like) more strain on the CPU than they should.

Noticed this about 3 weeks ago while playing World of Warcraft with a large group online like I do almost every day, but that day the performance became really choppy out of the blue and it was nearly unplayable. Normally I can run at least 3 copies of the game at the same time (don't ask why) and they all function as they should but here one was too many. In addition to this the fan started acting up as well where it would periodically go wild and then slow down to normal, and then speed up like mad again and repeat etc. When the game is running there's a general latency for everything - switching between tabs in Chrome, scrolling up and down on web pages and even words being typed in take a split moment to appear.

This continued to be a problem for a couple of days after that and then seemed to fix itself... Until a few days ago where the exact issue happened again and is making it painful to play the game. The activity monitor isn't showing anything out of the ordinary as far as I can tell - obviously the game is using a lot of power but apparently ~60% of the CPU is still idle even when the computer is running very sluggishly. Kernel_task fluctuates quite a lot but it's rarely over 15% and mostly under 10% which seems normal from what I've read on the 'net.

Another thing that has happened occasionally since I first noticed this problem is the computer freezing upon login. Boots up fine, login screen works but when I get to my desktop the thing freezes up and I have to manually power it down and try again. Happened a few times consecutively but then not happened since. Presumably it's related to the choppy functionality.

Have tried a SMC reset several times with the shift+ctrl+option+power trick but didn't get any confirmation as to whether or not it worked, and it didn't make a difference if it did work.

Have also run a virus scan (w/ Avast which I downloaded after the problems appeared) and it also didn't pick anything up.

I cleaned up my hard disk which now has 20gb of free space but that hasn't changed anything.

Spotlight and Finder are just sitting around idly, they're not actively searching for anything or doing something that would use a lot of processing power.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. Glynes thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried reseting SMC again as per the instructions for MacBook Pros without user serviceable batteries and now the fan is just constantly on ultra high blast whenever I boot up the computer. Nothing is overheating...

3. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Probably a bad temp sensor which is causing the computer to think that it's overheating.

4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Can just be a bad fan. My 2010 MBP had a bad fan. Got a replacement online for about $14 and used an ifixit guide to replace it. Problem solved.

At $14 I was willing to try that over paying potential repair costs of a logic board for an out of warranty machine.