2010 MacPro performance & 64bit Kernel

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Zeiss, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Zeiss macrumors member

ok, just got me a brand new 2010 MacPro 2 x 2.4 Quad-Core with 12GB Ram and the ATI 5870. This is the first MacPro to system boot into the 64bit Kernel by default (ie, hold 3+2 on restart to boot into 32bit Kernel).

One of the first things I did was run the Photoshop performance test, which FYI on my old G5 2.7 with 4GB Ram returned a time of 114 secs, and on the new Quad-Core in 64bit kernel returned a time of 14 secs, so as you can imagine I was pretty happy with the results.

Then the problems started...... when I was installing software I got the dreaded Kernel Panic, restart your machine screen. So I did, and it happened again on restart, so I did, and it happened again on restart, so I did.... you get the idea. So I put the system disk in and restarted, then reloaded OSX10.6.4 and everything seemed to be going fine, until I installed software again (different app from the first time), and I got the Kernel panic screen, then again on restart etc, so I booted into 32bit kernel and all is good.

EXCEPT!! - When running the Photoshop test in 32bit Kernel it returned a time of 17secs. Now, I know I am being picky here, but I do a lot of work in PSCS5, and by a lot I mean sometimes all day on large photographic images, so 3 secs is a big deal....

anyone know what is going on and how I can get back into 64bit kernel without panics.....:confused::confused:

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh this is not what I wanted to hear...:(

That being said is OpenGL turned on in Photoshop? That may be the culprit. It causes endless problems for a lot of people. (Actually, I've never heard of anyone who said it HASN'T caused problems...)

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

OpenGL on my Apple 4870 here without any issues that i've found!!

4. Zeiss thread starter macrumors member

interesting.... actually I've not ever had an issue with OpenGL using PS...

Anyway, I wasn't even using PS when the panic happened, just installing software, PS wasn't even open.... The machine is working fine in 32bit, had to use Terminal to permanently change the boot, but I would prefer to be using 64bit as that is kinda why I buy the high end mac in the first place (plus those valuable 3 secs:)

5. Zeiss thread starter macrumors member

Actually the second time that was exactly what I was installing, the first time I can't remember as I was just going crazy installing everything, but it is possible...... I just read that post and that is exactly what happened to me!! Going to go home and uninstall parallels and try again....

6. skiffx macrumors 6502a

7. sboerup macrumors 6502

Zeiss, please report back after your restore if everything is working. Glad I don't need Parallels anymore . . .

8. Zeiss thread starter macrumors member

stupid Parallels was the problem - all is good now in full 64bit kernel mode, has been for about 12 hours....