2010 MacPro Unboxing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Carrotkid, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Carrotkid macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, got my new Mac Pro last week and so far I have not had any issues with it - works great :)

I also made a short unboxing video so I would have some footage to test my editing work flow on the new machine - mostly done with stop-motion and ended up looking more like a video brochure for the Mac, haha. Hope you like it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMru6ICAdw8

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Nice video!!

I noticed from the video that you got the 3.2GHz model, is it noticeably faster than the other Mac Pro (from the video again) that you own?

That is the exact model along with the ati 5770 I might pick up very soon.

3. SnoFlo macrumors regular

SnoFlo

4. Carrotkid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

jjahshik32: The other Mac in the last shot is actually an old G5 2GHz Dual, yikes! I did a benchmark last week and encoded a piece of video using compressor. The G5 took 23min to encode it and the 2010 took 1.5min to encode the same video - looks like I was definitely due for an upgrade, haha, especially since I'll be upgrading my video to a RED camera next year.

Thanks for watching :)

5. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

6. Ever34 macrumors regular

7. TheEvilDonut macrumors member

TheEvilDonut

8. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Totally agree.

Personally I usually don't care much for unboxing videos..... but this one was really a-m-a-z-i-n-g. And your other material on youtube is very good too. Let us know about other vidoes you post there. Congratulations on your new machine!

Cheers!

9. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Definitely wasn't expecting that when I clicked the link. That was some of the cleanest stop motion I've ever seen!

You planning on getting an Epic or Scarlet? ;)

10. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

That video was amazing! superb and flawless editing.
    great work :)

11. akadmon macrumors 68020

Wow, expected to see some hohum unboxing pix, thinking I might get a chance to make some snarky comments...Boy is my tail between my eggs! :eek:

12. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

13. dazed macrumors 6502a

great vid.

I usually try to avoid looking at unboxing videos as its usually some guy who just wants to get his face on the internet, with bad music playing in the background.

Yours actually required effort to produce!!

Cant wait to order mine now :)

14. CountlovE macrumors regular

15. Carrotkid thread starter macrumors newbie

rajbonham: I'd love to go Epic but it looks like I'll be getting the Scarlet due to the 120fps - I'm filming a horror film next year and there are many shots I want to capture with crystal clear slow-motion.

I highly recommend the new MacPro's to video editors (but perhaps not as an upgrade from the 2009 unless you really want the speed boost). Final Cut Pro and Motion work so good on these new machines.

Thanks everyone for watching, glad you enjoyed the video!

16. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Nice! I'd love to get a Scarlet, but there's no way I can afford both a Scarlet and new Mac Pro. I totally agree with you about the video editing as well. Literally 9 out of every 10 jobs I see offered related to film/video editing, insist on using the Mac platform.

17. scoobydiesel macrumors member

scoobydiesel

Really really cool video, wish i could do something that cool....Let alone buy a Mac Pro haha :D

18. Zak.V macrumors member

The only possible way it could have been better is if you added the startup sound when you hit the button at the end.

Sweet video and gear, im saving for the same

19. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Great video... how do you do a lot of it... is it stop-motion or some other technique? What ever it is, it's perfect for this kind of video! :D

20. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

Thread rated as excellent! ;)
    Thanks for sharing.

21. CountlovE macrumors regular

You should try shooting with a Phantom. Now that is a killer camera for slow-mo.

http://www.visionresearch.com/

22. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Very nice! :) What software did you use for putting the stop-motion animation together?

23. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I was wondering too, looks great :)

24. Carrotkid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I use Final Cut Pro for all my editing including the stop-motion. It usually takes about 5-10min to collect all the frames you need (depending on length of shot) and then I nest them together so I can the necessary apply filters and color correction as a single shot.