2010 MBP 13" Big Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karboN.6, Dec 14, 2014.

1. karboN.6 macrumors regular

Good morning all,

Today I tried to turn on my Mac book pro 2010 13" model and it was very slow.. I tried using chrome to search on Google and it seemed like it was having a Java script error.. At this point I tried to close the programs.. My computer froze up and wouldn't allow me (slowly unfreezing) after my computer acting weird. I decided to hard restart it. Now this is where the issue really is.. My computer will not get past this loading screen, and when it gets to a certain point (many minutes later) it turns off.. Can someone help me figure out what is going on with my computer!? I just installed a SSD and Ram about a month and half ago. Could they be the issue? Someone please help me, this is becoming very frustrating and financially burdening now that the holidays are here. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418573769.722247.jpg

2. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

It won't let me safe boot or recover... Backlight keyboard isn't lite either.. I read a post saying that someone left their computer off overnight and it worked the next morning

3. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

4. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay now let's get someone who has something knowledgable to say. Thanks for your 2 cents. So If I got it from apple installed it wouldn't have been stupid. Lol your logic.

5. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Now this screen comes up after resetting it a few times... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418578338.671939.jpg i need this computer to get fixed ASAP! This is really becoming a worst nightmare.

6. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Currently trying to recover through internet .. Have no idea what this will do.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418578567.265362.jpg

7. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418578879.791103.jpg okay what should I currently do? I have my external harddrive and I can try to recover to my last back up.. Or I could wait until later tonight and install a fresh copy of os on my computer. I think for the time being im going to try to install from time machine ... Anyone reject? I don't know what gave me the issues in the first place..

8. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418579195.798767.jpg this is weird.. It hasn't located my harddrive yet.. I wonder if there is an issue with the harddrive itself?

9. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

it could be the hard drive, but could also be the ribbon cable (more likely as they are notorious) Have a very close look at the ribbon cable and see if it has been rubbing on the case.

10. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm attention to repair it in disk utilities.. Said there is "invalid content in journal" I wonder how this happened.. Looks like I might have to reformat the whole drive and start from my back up

----------

Thank you (I assume that's the connection to the harddrive) also would you say I should go back to my old hdd or if I repartition this one I'll be fine?.. I'm also repairing disk in disk utilities .. So let's see if that will work.. This will take 2 hours

11. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

2010 MBP 13" Big Issue

I'm currently trying to reformat (partition) my internal SSD so it erases everything and I can start fresh from a time machine back up.. But now the harddrive can't be unmounted.. And they couldn't repair the disk..

Edit* gave up on trying to partition the drive.. Anyone know what I can do to get past that stop sign?? Or repartition my harddrive or put my old hdd back in!? And erase the SSD ... I still have no idea what's causing the issue.. I'm 99% sure it's the hdd now.. But now 100%

12. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

How many time have you replaced the HDD cable mentioned previously? It is a common point of failure. I have replaced mine twice since 2009.

13. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

I have never replaced the cable.

----------

I just watched a video on YouTube about that cable and I'm not getting that symbol.. I am getting the apple symbol but around the halfway mark the computer just shuts off..

14. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

it wouldn't hurt to go back to the original drive, and you could also examine the cable at the same time. Also put a strip of insulation tape between the cable and the chassis. the computer could be shutting down to protect from short circuit.

15. M-B-P macrumors regular

Try booting up form your HD externally. If it works, means that its a problem with the SATA cable most likely. If it doesn't work, its probably your HD that has failed.

Same thing has happen to my 2010 MBP two times (the cable failed).

Take it to the Apple store. They will diagnose the problem, that the only way to know for sure.

16. chanwbkenneth macrumors newbie

You should restart your computer and hold down the CMD + R key when it is booting up. Then run disk check and repair disk permissions. 90% of the problem I faced can be solved by this method. Good luck!