2010 MBP 13'' Boot Camp Crysis

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skypilot4life, Jul 7, 2010.

1. skypilot4life macrumors newbie

Hello Forum,

I recently purchased the 13'' mbp (well my parents bought it for me because i was qualified for commercial pilot training in my country) and well besides the rough edges that hurt your wrists, I love my macbook pro, I love the interface, I love the design + the holy track pad (!) but as soon as I install boot camp things turned ugly, real ugly:(

After struggling to install Windows 7 Home Premimum 64 bit's Drivers (It took me a long time to set windows to regconize that I need 64 bit drivers and not 32's) I grow more and more frustrated with the supplied drivers, it's horrible, the windows would frequently freeze and requires a shutdown. (I presume there's a problem with the NVDIA 320M driver). Another problem is that for some odd reason there's no fan running at all during windows operation! And yes I'm aware of the smrcfan restart thingy to transfer the setting over to windows but that is just so incovenient (sorry if i'm being a wuss).

Now I would love to hear feedback from experienced users how on earth can I find a subsitute graphics driver to fix this frequent freezing + a way to start the fans.

My config: 2.66Ghz 4GB DDR3 RAM + 320M GF
    Windows HP 64 bit Boot Camp 3.1

Gracias.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you 100% sure the fan is NOT running? Or is it just at its standard speed of 2000RPM?

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

you can install the 320m driver listed on nvidia.com

You will have to modify the inf file though. I wrote a guide which explains how to do it, but if you are going to be a "wuss", it will probably be too much work for you.

4. skypilot4life thread starter macrumors newbie

It felt like no fan was running, maybe you are right it might be running at 2000 rpm.

Okay, maybe I was lazy but I've looked up options all night, they are hard to get because I'm not much of techie-material. Could you provide me the link of your thread + some directions? I don't mind spending a couple of hours to get it fixed. Thanks.

5. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

You should probably install the Fan Control in OS X and then set the fan at 4000-5000 RPM and reboot into Windows.

Keep things a little cooler...

6. aussiesnow4 macrumors newbie

Try Lubbo's fan control. It will work in bootcamp, keep in mind that you must quit the bootcamp program however and have .net framework 3.5 installed.

I really wish you could run bootcamp and Lubbo's at the same time bc ur keyboard shortcuts no longer work, but it's the most convenient solution to ur problem for now.

Hope it helps.

7. whalebiologist macrumors newbie

I came into this thread expecting someone to be trying to run Crysis on their 13" :D

8. skypilot4life thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL. I'm so sorry I didn't realize that I mispelled crisis:p Anyways thank you everyone you have been a great help:)

9. section31 macrumors member

LOL. Me too; I was interested in seeing some benchmarks just for kicks.

10. CJWrangler macrumors newbie

I also just recently purchased a 13" Macbook Pro (2.4GHz model) and had some similar issues getting Windows 7 installed with bootcamp. After a lot of searching and frustration, I think I finally have everything working. One of the key things that I found that seems to have fixed my video issues was this hotfix from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979491.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit using the drivers provided on the OS X disc and this hotfix. I did have it lockup once during the install, but I restarted the process and it made it through the second time. Then the first thing I did was install the hotfix above, then all of the drivers and ran windows update. It has been smooth sailing since. I also now have Parallels running using the bootcamp partition.

11. skypilot4life thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the link provided, I will give it a try right now:)

12. skypilot4life thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the provided link, I will give it a try right now:)

13. tidff macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried this? Post if this really works! currently running XP because windows 7 freezees all the time very annoying. Some opinions please would be helpfull! mbp 13 2010

14. FireSokar macrumors regular

I have modified drivers for a toshiba, however I do not know the exact input for the MBP 13" can you show me your guide, I found one before however there was no section for the 320M section under the inf of the drivers.