2010 MBP 13", coconut battery says 92% now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigress666, Oct 18, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I just calibrated it Saturday night even. And now coconut battery says it only has 92% (istat agrees with coconut battery). It's never had 100% since I had it (at best it said 97%). It's 5 months old at this point (I bought it soon after they introduced the new MBP). Coconut battery and istat say 13 battery load cycles (oh, and the battery can never keep 100% charge even when plugged in).

Should I bother talking to the apple "genius's" about this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Maximus434 macrumors regular

I'd like opinions on this too. My 2010 15" MBP is showing only 90% battery capacity in istat....I calibrate it regularly and don't leave it plugged in all the time!

Though I've a feeling Apple wouldn't do anything as long as the battery status is "normal"....

4. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Everytime some one posts a battery question that FAQ gets posted. I've seen it. And no it doesn't answer the question or I wouldn't have posted it. For example on fluctuation it claims it's not one way but from what I've seen it mostly is (It fluctuated up one time for 1-2% but ohter than that it's been a downward trend). And everytime I calibrate it, the battery life gets worse.

I was looking for opinions on whether 92% was abnormally low for the age of computer.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because it does answer the vast majority of battery questions, including yours.
    Yes, it does answer your questions, if you take the time to read it:
    Actually, you didn't ask that, but it's answered, as I posted.
    See the sections in the FAQ entitled "BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED" and "BATTERY LIFESPAN"

6. vant macrumors 65816

The answers to your questions are vague. I've lurked battery threads and in some cases they are replaced depending on a simple cycle to battery life formula.

For example,

You should not be at 90% battery life until 500 cycles. So if you have 250 cycles and your battery life is 85%, Apple will most likely replace it although it is completely up to the genius.

Anything below 80% with less than 1000 cycles is a guaranteed replacement assuming no abuse.

I'm on my 60th cycle with 94% battery life (I check it often and it averages around 95%). Although 5% of my battery life is seemingly gone, it is only worth 30 minutes AT MOST per a charge. Still not enough for me to go and bicker with the geniuses for a battery replacement.

It is pretty much normal to have a few % missing from your life, your new battery will probably be the same :/

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have no facts to back up that statement.
    That is false. The threshold is 80%, not 85%, and the cycle limit is 1000, not 250.

8. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I think he's referring to Apple's claims of the battery being able to hold an 80% charge after 1000 charge cycles, or whatever the claim is if I'm off.

Mine fluctuates from 100% to 97%, only 5 charges so far, less than a week old.

I haven't calibrated it, just figured I'd leave it be for now, plus I'm sure they do some sort of calibration/check at the factory.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they don't calibrate it at the factory.

10. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Really? Surprising!

Thanks for the link :cool:

Considering how good mine's running...should I even bother?

11. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Just use your Laptop as you usually do. I too look up the Batteries capacity once in a while but I do not ask myself if it is within specifications or not. Apple replaces your Battery if it hits the 80% threshold before 1000 cycles. That is all you have to keep in mind. Mine is at 91#% atm but I still get 6:30 REAL work-hours with it easily (half brightness, no flash) doing typical office tasks.

Just enjoy your Laptop :)

12. derf36 macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 13 purchased in april 2010. I'm at 94% with 118 load cycles.

I don't get to fussed up about calibrating and just use it. I have noticed that the past few months I've typically ranged from 92 to 95%.

So far so good for me, the battery life of this thing is awesome.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibrating won't affect how good it runs. Read the FAQ section on calibrating.

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Not true, if you are talking about the battery. If OSX thinks that there is only 1% charge left, but in reality if there is 5%, it will put the computer on sleep.

My battery is at 89-90%, according to coconut battery, but according to the genius bar's test, it is at 91.2%. This is after 193 charge cycles. I asked if they could replace the battery, because at this rate, it will be at around 80% after 400-500 cycles. The genius said no, he is not allowed to do that. The truth of the matter is that he didn't want to bother with it, and that he is allowed to do that, but is his decision.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it is true. Calibration doesn't affect battery health or life. It only makes the reporting of the battery's condition more accurate. It doesn't help you get more charge out of a battery; it helps you more accurately determine your battery's health and charge level. It won't affect performance while your Mac is running, and it won't give you longer life on a charge. When there's not sufficient charge left, your Mac will sleep or shut down, whether the indicator says you have 1% left or 20% left.

16. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

No, I'm sorry, it does not. There were much more helpful responses below yours.

Yeah, it says that it fluctuates, but it does not say what seems abnormally low even for fluctuation. And, well, my battery doesn't really fluctuate, it just keeps getting lower so it really doesn't even follow that.

Anyways, to other people who didn't just post a link and posted their own experiences, thank you.

17. zdlyons macrumors member

I'm on a 2010 MBP 13"
    4 months old
    67 load cycles
    92% battery capacity. It was at 93/94 about a week after i had it...:cool:

18. 123macman macrumors member

The batteries used in modern macs are designed to lose to about 85% of capacity and from their decline slowly. This allows the batteries to still be usable for longer. You should not be concerned at all.

19. apedance macrumors member

MacBook 5,1 (Late 2008)

434 Cycles - 84% Health

Sometimes i do get "Service Battery" and the health drops to 47%.

The time has come for my battery. :)

20. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

If you've calibrated it properly and it still has such awful numbers, take it in and get it replaced. It shouldn't be that bad, not even close.

My 2011 Air has now 703 cycles (I am a heavy mobile user) and still 88% (and 4-5 hours in real-world use).

----------

On the one hand, I am inclined to agree with you because battery decline is not linear, but rather an exponential acceleration characterized by a minor decline over a large number of cycles followed by a punctuated decline rapidly thereafter.

However, I do contest your numbers interpretation of numbers. Apple's own numbers report 80% health after 1000 cycles, as you mention, which is what the poster you quote and say have no facts to back up is basing that off of. They assumed linearity and that it would be 90% at 500 cycles.

Given my own anecdotal experience with dozens (probably hundreds?) of Macs over the years, and my knowledge of how these batteries perform, I would posit that you can reasonably expect MORE than 90% health after 500 cycles, as the decline again is not linear, but rather sigmoidal if you can imagine the curve.

In either case, the OP's battery is atypical and problematic. If the calibration, which as you correctly say, does not affect performance but rather reporting of #s, does not change the information, it clearly is defective and should be replaced. If you are firm and clearly unsatisfied with the life, Apple will replace it. You just have to be firm on your demands, but of course polite and reasonable. Courtesy has never failed me with dealing with people.

Edit: Also, nice FAQ by the way. Very definitive, but that's also probably why people don't want to read it.

----------

Also, to everyone who posted about this, do not be concerned about minor fluctuations down from 100% while plugged in and charged. It's just Apple's way of doing automatic power conditioning.