2010 MBP 13" worst Mac ever?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saltspringer, Nov 26, 2013.

1. saltspringer macrumors newbie

Yesterday I used my 13" MacBook Pro (2010) first thing in the morning, left it plugged in and came back a couple of hours later and it had died - totally. Black screen, no sound - seems to be bricked. Pressing and holding the power key, attempting SMC and PRAM resets seem to do nothing.

I'll take it into the city in a couple of days and have somebody run a hardware diagnostic on it, but it's looking like a logic board failure to me. If so, I'm thinking that it's probably not worth fixing, which is a bit of a cow - this thing's only three years old.

I've been using Macintosh computers since 1986 and have seen them fail in lots of different ways, but never so abruptly, so completely or so YOUNG.

It was a nice computer when it worked - but three years of use from a computer is entirely unacceptable.

(I write this on an EIGHT-YEAR-OLD Dell D610 running Ubuntu Linux.)

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Mid-2009. Not even a catastrophic failure. It just burns through SATA cables all the time. Definitely irritating. My parents have a 2010 17", and it's just fine.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's weird, we had quite a few Dell D610s give us nothing but problems where I worked. I guess computers are like cars -- certain units are lemons, and other units (of the same model) run forever.

Personally, I haven't seen a trend of posts on MacRumors that indicates that the 2010 13" MBP is any worse (or better) than other Macs.

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

That sucks! My 13" 2010 has been a trooper... haven't had any problems. My wife's 2010 iMac, though, is a piece of crap that is constantly having issues. Guess that wasn't a good year for Macs.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The mid 2010 13" MBP was a great notebook, destined to be a classic. Mine was/is as tough as nails and our daughters survived college.

6. saltspringer thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not saying that this model the 'worst Mac ever', just that it is MY worst Mac ever. All of them have lasted a lot longer than three years.

After performing perfectly for three years, with fairly full-on use and quite a bit of carrying around, it just abruptly dies.

Brought a new iPad Air into the house a couple of days ago - maybe it died of jealousy?