2010 MBP: 2.5" 512GB sata II ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eoblaed, Jan 3, 2014.

1. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

This is a hard beast to find.

Trying to upgrade my son's MBP. I originally bought an OCZ Vertex 2 480GB (sata II), but stupidly didn't realize it was a 3.5" drive. He uses the optical drive a lot, so using the opti bay isn't an option. Time to return the OCZ.

Trying to find an approximately 512GB sata II 2.5" SSD has turned out to be a pain in the arse.

I'm about to get a Samsung 840 EVO 512GB (sata III), but am wondering what other people's experience are with that drive in a sata II MBP. I found at least one thread where people had problems (i/o errors in the console log) enabling TRIM, but the thread was inconclusive if the problem was the nature of sata II <--> sata III down stepping, or if the SSD itself was flakey.

Other suggestions are also welcomed. :)

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

2. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I have a Crucial M4 in my 2010 MBP and never had any troubles. It may not be as fast as Sata 3 or PCIe but the user experience with an SSD is way better than with a HDD. I enabled TRIM when Lion came out - no problem either.

I'd go for a M500 or 840 EVO (just take the one you get cheaper, because Sata 2 will bottleneck it anyway!)

3. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

You can use sataIII drives on sataII ports. They are backwards compatible.
    I also had a Crucial M4 in a 2010 15" MBP and it worked just fine.

4. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

for trim on mavericks either use the trim enabler or this:

5. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Yeah, right now it looks like the 840 EVO is a touch cheaper. As long as TRIM isn't causing issues with a sata III drive going through a sata II interface, I'm happy. :)

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

You should be fine, I've got a SATA III SSD in an '07 model that only does SATA I. TRIM works perfectly fine and all. Also got a SATA III SSD in my '08 that is SATA II, also fine.

Only oddity is if it's SATA III in the optical bay on an '08, throws it back to SATA I. But that's not the case here, so you're good.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

This is true for your 2010 and most Macs, but NOT true for the 2011 uMBP-15 and uMBP-17 optibay installation.

Again, you should be fine, but for those with 2011 models you need a SATA II SSD if you want to put it in the optibay.

>