2010 MBP Auto Screen Brightness Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atrac7, Jun 14, 2010.

1. atrac7 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile, without really making an account. Love the community here and the helpfulness provided.

I bought my first Mac computer last month, the 13" 2.4 variant. Loving it so far.

I have lately noticed however that my ambient light sensor is not much of help. Before, after coming out of sleep I could notice the screen changing to accommodate for the room's light output. I could also put my hand over the sensor near the iSight and witness the brightness decrease in front of me.

Now for some reason my light sensor is working sporadically. Sometimes it works when I bring it out of sleep or put my hand over it, but usually not. However ALWAYS if i restart the computer the screen brightness does change according to light. Once i close the lid, and open it back up, bam, the screen does not change. Restart the computer, and all of a sudden it works again for the first session BEFORE sleeping it.

Sorry for the confusion in this post....if anyone can give any inputs it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

If you log out and in again does it start to work again? It did for me
    Try resetting the SMC, that might help
    There is a .plist file which remembers the preferences, you could try trashing that (you would need to do some research, I can't remember what it's called)

3. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Honestly on my 1 week old 13" MPB I found the auto screen brightness too sensitive. I turned it off! System Preferences>Disply>uncheck "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes".