2010 MBP Backlight fuse issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevster0522, Sep 5, 2015.

1. kevster0522 macrumors newbie

Hello I'm new to the forums here and was wondering if anyone could help me out with an issue I'm having. I purchased a 2010 MBP from a friend about a year ago. It had a bad hard drive cable so I replaced that no problem. Now this summer I've been having issues with the display. At first it would just boot up and then dim down to a black screen. Then it started never showing the backlight at all. I took it to the apple store to see if they could possibly count it as the old gpu issues with this model (I wasn't even getting a display at all) but they wouldn't honor it. They claimed it was a bad display. So I started messing around and eventually got it to show a display but no backlight. I tested the backlight fuse with my multimeter and it showed it was dead so I ordered new fuses.

Now today I got the fuse and because I'm not the best at soldiering I used some conductive paint (this stuff: http://www.bareconductive.com/shop/electric-paint-10ml/) and just stuck it on top of the old fuse. When I booted up the machine I had backlight for about 2 seconds until it flickered out and I got smoke coming out of fan grill. The fuse burnt up. Any idea what could be causing the fuse to blow like this? Thanks in advance.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Thinking about fuses, in general:
    Fuses don't usually blow because the fuse is bad - they "fail" to prevent damage to other parts - something else was drawing too much current.
    Maybe you "painted in" a new part with a higher current rating.
    And, you discovered that you still have a bad part. Maybe it's the backlight circuit on the display - which is why the "genius" was saying "bad display")
    And, now you have more damage.

(story alert)
    I used to have an electrician buddy who tended to troubleshoot a blown fuse by replacing with a higher current fuse. He told me that he would then "wait for the smoke" to find out where the "real" problem existed.
    The boss at the time thought that my buddy needed more training in good troubleshooting. I agreed with the boss :D