Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hvgotcodes

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I have a 2010 MBP. I installed a crucial c300 earlier this year. I am running snow leopard.

Yesterday, I ran into a situation where all my programs stopped responding, one by one. I could still use the GUI, but nothing worked, and eventually I had to power cycle.

Same thing happened today.

How can I begin diagnosing if am experiencing a hardware failure?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Verify The Disk(s)

I have a 2010 MBP. I installed a crucial c300 earlier this year. I am running snow leopard.

Yesterday, I ran into a situation where all my programs stopped responding, one by one. I could still use the GUI, but nothing worked, and eventually I had to power cycle.

Same thing happened today.

How can I begin diagnosing if am experiencing a hardware failure?

Using disk utility first. If you get no errors there, verify your permissions and repair if required. Sounds like bad RAM or a dying HDD to me

hvgotcodes

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Using disk utility first. If you get no errors there, verify your permissions and repair if required. Sounds like bad RAM or a dying HDD to me

disk utility shows permissions issues, but then again it always shows permissions issues. I don't see any button to check for the health of the hardware.

would there be any kernel log messages to look for?

I made a genius bar appointment so they can run their diagnostics...are there any i could download/run in the meantime?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not Really

disk utility shows permissions issues, but then again it always shows permissions issues. I don't see any button to check for the health of the hardware.

would there be any kernel log messages to look for?

I made a genius bar appointment so they can run their diagnostics...are there any i could download/run in the meantime?

If you've made a genius appointment I'd leave it as is for now....I'm thinking HDD, which will be replaced....Are you still under Warranty?

hvgotcodes

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
If you've made a genius appointment I'd leave it as is for now....I'm thinking HDD, which will be replaced....Are you still under Warranty?

No my HDD is a crucial c300 which I installed myself. It should be under warranty. Is there a diagnostic I could run?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.