2010 MBP: dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyeballtickler, Nov 13, 2014.

1. eyeballtickler macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a mid 2010 13inch MBP. The battery went kaput earlier this year so it has been entirely reliant on mains power. A few weeks ago however it started to shut down randomly even when plugged in. And just now I went to turn it on, with the power cable in and the indicator light on green, and it won't respond at all.

Is there any point buying a new battery or is it completely dead? Is there anything I can do to try to figure out exactly what's wrong?

Thanks

EDIT: actually after holding down the power button for a while it has now come on with the fan at full blast. Is there any kind of diagnosis I can run to try to pinpoint the problem?

2. eyeballtickler thread starter macrumors newbie

Just another update: my fan is running constantly at a very high speed, but SMCFanControl doesn't seem to recognise it, says the fan is running at 000rpm and says temperature is 0C. The bottom of the laptop is cool.

3. Macmark93 macrumors member

Macmark93

I have had my old 13' mb behave in the similar way and that was heavily water damaged. I would say i think you have some kind of hardware fault, I wouldn't pay for a new battery as I think your issues are more serious than just the battery. (Could be wrong), to run a hardware test hold D key down whilst powering the machine up. Make sure you run a long test as the short one will not check every inch of system.

4. eyeballtickler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. The machine now turns on made once in every 20 attempts at pressing the power button, and the fan is always on full whack even though the machine is cool and now processor-hungry apps are running.

My local mac shop will look at it for €30, so I guess it's probably worth paying that much.