2010 MBP down grade to SL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chewie169, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Chewie169 macrumors newbie

Long story short, 10.7.1 has made my laptop unuseable. It freezes every 10 mins. Before the upgrade I used to get random freezes that I just lived with. Snow Leapord worked perfect.

My question is if I reinstall snow lepord, can I use the time machine back up I have made in lion?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apart from trying it, I don't know how you could tell for sure, but my gut feeling says no.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I tried it on my 2010 15" and it gives an error message along the lines of "You must upgrade to at least Mac OS 10.7.1 before attempting this upgrade."; So no.
    I just backed up my documents folder to my company's server, (you could use an HDD) and saved anything else I might need on a flash drive. Then I downgraded and transferred everything over.

Just curious, because you also have a 2010 model, does yours experience a lot of beach balling, and sleep/wake issues where the screen would not come on, in addition to the freezes noted above (I also had that problem)? I was reading that the 2010 graphics drivers were less effective in Lion, and I especially notice this, as I get lower frames a second when playing Portal 2 than I did under 10.6.

4. Chewie169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I get lots of beachballs. It wad bearable before 10.7.1, now just not reliable at all.

If I copy the iTunes folder to an externally hdd and paste it back into the new location will it keep my playlists? I've done this loads on windows pcs, just never mac.

I'm really disappointed in this, I work in IT, seen this type of problem with windows. Decided to buy a mac because of this. I fix windows pcs for a living, didn't think I would have to worry about a mac.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unfortunately for Macs, OS X releases tend to be not-so-good until .2 or .3 or so. That's why I remained on SL and will stay on it until bugs have been ironed out.

6. Chewie169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Normally with Windows I wait till the bug fixes before upgrading. But wrongly thought Apple OS would "just work"

From people who have use Mac longer than I have (only for 1 year) do they think that the 10.7.2, 10.7.3 will fix these problems and how long before these are realsed?

It's a strange problem as I've been using this for 30 mins now and no crashes, but this morning it was every 5 mins. Just can't rely on it any more.

7. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Sounds like you might have a failing HDD, I would get that checked out / back up your stuff ASAP

8. Chewie169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive ran the disk verify and permission check they both came back clear. I assume this is the equivalent of error checking in windows.

9. sukion macrumors newbie

Be VERY careful about using backups that were made in lion. I downgraded to SL as well because of buggy issues/beach balls and it was just a hassle. If you restore from a time machine backup that was made in lion, the computer won't boot past the grey screen because of certain files that were created from lion. My suggestion, do a clean install, don't restore from a backup or use migration assisstant at all. Just slowly transfer your files back and you'll be fine.

I was on the phone with an apple tech for about an hour and tried all sorts of methods. Final conclusion that we came up with is that SL definitely won't accept any backups made from Lion.

10. Chewie169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the heads up. My biggest concern of doing it manually is that I lose my playlists and ends up messing up my iPhone when I sync. Did that go ok for you?

Also will I be able to re-download Lion at a later date (when they fix it) if so how?

11. sukion macrumors newbie

I can't really answer your question about the playlist because I personally never use playlists on my phone but if you're lucky, all your itunes stuff (Music, ringtones, apps) should be somewhere in your library (Can't check, currently at work) because that's how I got all my music/apps back on my phone.

As for reinstalling lion, I believe every itunes account is allowed up to 5 redownloads of Lion from the app store. But when I first downloaded lion, I made sure to create a usb thumb drive of it.