2010 MBP extremely slow as of lately

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nicname, Apr 19, 2011.

1. nicname macrumors member

ok so my new 2010 MBP has been extremely slow and I was instructed to go into my disk utilities and to repair disk permissions and to verify them. I did so.
    I was also instructed to take this pics here and hopefully someone can help me speed up my mac.
    Would i need to use Onyx?
    here are the pics

Attached Files:

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Q:
    How much "free space" is left on your internal drive?

3. nicname thread starter macrumors member

where would i check that?

4. nicname thread starter macrumors member

5. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    select Macintosh HD and go command+I

6. nicname thread starter macrumors member

7. darrensmith016 macrumors newbie

My 2010 MacBook Pro 13" started getting really slow and it turned out the hard drive was on the way out, so i bought a seagate xt 500gb hybrid then upgraded to 8gb ram and it flys all the time... i do notice you have quite a few apps open, so you could be maxing out the memory it strange how my mac mini with 2gb of ram runs fine and my macbook pro kept maxing 4gb of ram all the time.. its great with 8gb.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

try resetting the PRAM. Shut down then turn the power back on and hold down the Cmd, Opt, P and R keys simultaneously - before the screen appears and hold until you hear two beeps. That will clear it out.

Not sure if that will help but it might so it's worth a try.

9. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

You could try resetting the PRAM/SMC of the computer. If not, go to settings, startup disk and select machintosh hd as your boot up disk, verify and repair permissions again via disk utility.

If all else fails, back-up your HDD to an external hard drive, erase the drive to factory settings and restore back.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Maybe Spotlight was indexing or your HDD is dying slowly but surely.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I use a cache cleaning program once in a while called Yasu .Run all it's cleaning routines and let the program reboot your Mac. Then upon that reboot manually reboot again and this will completely rebuild your startup/shutdown system cache.

I do this system cache cleaning about once every three or for months to keep my OS X10.6.x install running lean and mean. Plus use Onyx to reset Spotlight's index.

Also I saw you had a lot of page outs. How much RAM do you have in your Mac? I ask because OS X LOVES RAM, the more the better.