Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukeHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Morning all. :)

I've just been given a 2010 MBP to try and diagnose. It looks as though it's failed a firmware upgrade. When the power button is pressed the Apple logo appears, with the spinning wheel and a progress bar as if it's trying to perform a firmware upgrade. The progress bar flickers once and then the machine powers down.

I've tried resetting the PRAM which hasn't helped, and it won't boot into a recovery partition either. Is there anything I can do to get it functional again?

Many thanks

Evo13

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Morning all. :)

I've just been given a 2010 MBP to try and diagnose. It looks as though it's failed a firmware upgrade. When the power button is pressed the Apple logo appears, with the spinning wheel and a progress bar as if it's trying to perform a firmware upgrade. The progress bar flickers once and then the machine powers down.

I've tried resetting the PRAM which hasn't helped, and it won't boot into a recovery partition either. Is there anything I can do to get it functional again?

Many thanks

Not trying to thread jack, but I am having the same exact issue since yesterday as well! At first I thought my hard drive is failing because before seeing the grey bar, my MBP, early 2011 13'', my MBP managed to start up but I was stuck on my desktop with the spinning beach ball. I restarted into recovery and managed to run the disk verification and it said to run the disk repair, but shortly after doing so, it failed to complete it. Now I am on the same screen as you, grey bar, barely loads and then MBP shuts off on its own in a few seconds.

Looking throughout the web, I am starting to think its failing to install the update I had run from the night before, surprisingly it did not automatically restart after updating the computer. Someone did say they ended up going into an Apple store and the Genius Bar had done a master reset, which wipes everything, and they had no problems after. But, my problem is I currently do not have backup and trying to avoid having to lose what is on my HD. Is there any other options to get past this? Also, if you find a fix let me know as well.

LukeHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
As it stands I'm currently transferring all the data from it (by booting into an Ubuntu Live CD) and then performing a clean install tomorrow. I did pull the drive out of the machine and connected it to mine. OS X automatically threw me a message saying the disk could not be repaired automatically, and checking it with Disk Utility tells me to back up my data and reformat the drive. If there's any other way of doing it, I don't know it. The machine doesn't have a recovery partition (or at least it can't see one), and I can't boot into Single User Mode to run fsck either.

Evo13

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
As it stands I'm currently transferring all the data from it (by booting into an Ubuntu Live CD) and then performing a clean install tomorrow. I did pull the drive out of the machine and connected it to mine. OS X automatically threw me a message saying the disk could not be repaired automatically, and checking it with Disk Utility tells me to back up my data and reformat the drive. If there's any other way of doing it, I don't know it. The machine doesn't have a recovery partition (or at least it can't see one), and I can't boot into Single User Mode to run fsck either.

I had posted about my problem on reddit and someone had suggested to use a to use a bootable recovery software. Provided me with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_data_recovery_software and said General instruction is to download software, burn to CD or place into usb drive, boot and follow prompt.
Currently I am unable to you try anything , waiting on parts to arrive from Amazon, hopefully after work tomorrow I can start recovering and installing my new ssd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.