2010 MBP gfix issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigJohno, Sep 3, 2012.

1. BigJohno, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

BigJohno macrumors 65816

Hey guys. Since last night I have been getting this weird graphics issue and it requires me to do a hard reboot. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It happens after the laptop has been on for 10 or so min but I cannot replicate it. It just happens randomly. I'm running 10.8.1. Here is a picture of what I am seeing.
    [​IMG]

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Are you talking about the line in upper lefthand corner? If so that looks like an issue with the display.

3. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes line at top left.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Quite possibly a display issue - are you still under the 1 yr warranty or Apple Care? If so I would take it in if you are able to recreate the issue and get it checked out. It may be just a line now but it could get worse.

5. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm still under apple care. Will they say something about my mod? I replaced the original hd with an ssd and took out the optical drive and put the old spinning drive there.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I believe removing the Optical Drive voids your warranty. Only the HDD and RAM are user-servicable in most Apple laptops.

7. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

Damn ok. Maybe ill get a larger ssd and put my optical drive back in.

8. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

If this is the same issue I was having, a *CLEAN* reinstall fixed it.

Weird, but mines A-ok now.

9. vrsixer macrumors newbie

Uninstall gfxstatus if you have it. That's how I fixed my 2010 MBP.

10. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

or get in the optical while its in check out at apple, and then install the second hdd back like before ;)

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I was going to also add this but decided to leave it out. I believe (could be wrong) that removing the optical drive voids the warranty, but I have heard others say that they simply put the optical drive back in before they go in to discuss and issue or talk about a repair that is irrelevant to its removal. I guess it all depends on how deceptive you are, as removing it does void the warranty but you can basically claim that you never have.

Stay true to your morals everyone. :)

12. ToXicWaSTe macrumors member

ToXicWaSTe

Ts4088

Hey, you clearly have a mid-2010 mbp suffering TS4088.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

It's an error caused by the GFX card switching(sometimes provoked by gfxCardStatus), on the MBP. Some believe it comes from the nvidia firmware. But the only solution is to change the Logicboard. Apple has extended the warrenty on the logic board to 3 years+, i believe.

Contact apple or go to an applestore with a copy of the TS4088 page. They have gotten better at changing the logicboard for free, but sometimes they will run a video test, which turns out to be negative. If this is the case, just ask them to run the video stress test, in the Apple Service Toolkit (AST). Or even better if you can provoke it yourself, show them.

you can read more about the error at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083?start=0&tstart=0

Hope it helps! Some people are lucky. I went through 3 logicboards, and finally receiving a new computer. :eek:

And remember to install everything(Hardware) as it was before going to the apple store with it :D