2010 MBP going to mom... use upgraded or OEM HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidg4781, Jul 5, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

My 2010 MBP is going to my mom since her PC died (finally she's going to try OS X!).

Anyway, it originally came with a 250 GB HDD that I pulled and put in an older 750 GB WD HDD. Would it be best to put the 250 back in? Is there any benefit with it being an original Apple (I know it's probably Seagate)? It's a 5400 rpm, vs the upgraded 7200, so it should save on battery. And I doubt she'll use anywhere near that much space. Her PC hardly had 20 GB used, but it was a pain to use.

I'm keeping the 8 GB of RAM in there, for sure. It runs so much smoother with it.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Doesn't make too much of a difference either way if the storage won't be used. 5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM is subjective to say which is better, due to noise and other factors of the drive. 7200 RPM is faster but I'm not sure how noticeable the difference will be in this case.

No benefit to it being the original drive. Hard drives are hard drives.

It's probably Toshiba if anything, not that it matters. It should say it somewhere on the drive.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, thanks. I couldn't remember if I had read something about Apple OEM drive having another sensor or chip that the logic board can read. Maybe I'll put the 250 in there and use the 750 as a TM drive for her.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Yeah, won't make much of a difference. I would just leave the original in there if more space isn't needed and repurpose the other drive.